VLSI VL82C201 shadow RAM / UMB use

Topic actions

First post, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey folks,

The VLSI VL82C20x series chipset (specifically the VL82C202 memory controller) supports up to 384KB of shadow RAM and/or UMB's using The Last Byte memory manager.

As a few of us have found, this is a very high performance 286/AT chipset - in all likelihood the fastest one available.

Detailed in the chipset.doc manual that comes with TLB, this 286 chipset can provide up to 384KB of UMB's in addition/or at the same time as being used to shadow the system and VGA BIOS ROMs:

Oct 09, 1994 SHADOW RAM MEMORY CONTROLLERS 15

2.31 VLSI Technology

Part Number Shadow Ram Address Range Organization
----------- ---------- ------------- ------------
VL82C202 384k A0000-FFFFF 6x64k
VL82C310 384k A0000-FFFFF 4x32k+8x16k+4x32k
VL82C311 384k A0000-FFFFF 4x32k+8x16k+4x32k
VL82C315 384k A0000-FFFFF 4x32k+8x16k+4x32k
VL82C316 384k A0000-FFFFF 4x32k+8x16k+4x32k
VL82C320 192k+32k C0000-EFFFF 12x16k
VL82C330 192k+32k C0000-EFFFF 12x16k
VL82C480 384k A0000-FFFFF 24x16k
VL82C481 384k A0000-FFFFF 24x16k
VL82C486 384k A0000-FFFFF 24x16k

To activate the mapping of unused shadow RAM to UMB's, you add the following entries to config.sys:

device=c:\tlbmm\lastbyte.sys ? physical=vl82c202
device=c:\tlbmm\highdvr.sys c:\dos\himem.sys
device=c:\tlbmm\highumm.sys /shrink /replace

That should be enought to convert any remaining shadow RAM to UMB's that you can then use to load parts of Dos and/or drivers and tsr's high.

Sadly, on my particular example of a VLSI VL82C201 motherboard, that instead gives me the following error:

lastbyte_sys.png
Filename
lastbyte_sys.png
File size
56.04 KiB
Views
File comment
Sorry, blanked out section which has registration codes
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Unfortunately my system uses an extreme basic AMI BIOS:

vl_amibios.png
Filename
vl_amibios.png
File size
200.35 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

... and even with shadowed system and video BIOS disabled it seems that I am unable to resolve the 'relocated shadow RAM' problem.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 1 of 21, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A20 control or jumper is maybe what you need to fiddle with.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 21, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Suspect I'm going to have to trace all the jumpers as there isn't a single one labelled, nor is there a motherboard on TH99/UH19 that remotely matches mine. Lots of VL82C200's, but none that are the same.

There's a note in the TLB chipset manual that indicates the VLSI shadow ram enable/relocate state is toggled by a certain pin on the vl82c202 IC. I may have to take a close look at where that goes.

Reply 3 of 21, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
megatron-uk wrote on 2021-05-27, 15:37:

There's a note in the TLB chipset manual that indicates the VLSI shadow ram enable/relocate state is toggled by a certain pin on the vl82c202 IC. I may have to take a close look at where that goes.

There is, should be as simple as finding continuity with a multimeter from that pin (pin 69 on the VL82C202) to the jumper header.

Logic high enables shadow ram.

(BTW I strongly recommend UMB_DRVR over TLB for this chipset)

Reply 5 of 21, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

might also look into the old amisetup program to fiddle around with settings unavailable in the bios.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 6 of 21, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found the jumper that seems to control shadow RAM and/or memory sizing:

img20210527191631.jpg
Filename
img20210527191631.jpg
File size
91.21 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

J16, when set to 3-4 (I'm numbering from board edge inwards) gives a BIOS memory count during POST of 4096KB and TLB produces the error previously shown (pin #69 was showing as tied to ground with that jumper in place). If J16 is left unset, the BIOS memory count is 3712KB and TLB loads:

lastbyte_vlsi_working.png
Filename
lastbyte_vlsi_working.png
File size
364.24 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

However, it's incredibly unstable in this configuration - keyboard input at the command line is enough to lock things up. I need to try UMB_DRVR as recommended to see if it is just TLB causing the instability, or this particular jumper configuration in general.

Reply 7 of 21, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The behaviour you described sounds completely normal (other than the instability)

Setting jumpers usually pulls the signal logic low. Shadow RAM enable is active high.

There should be no impact on stability from simply unsetting the jumper, it's got to be TLB. Try running the system with the jumper unset and no UMB provider loaded as a control

Reply 8 of 21, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep it's definitely TLB. I've run it with config.sys bypassed and it's fine. I've also now installed UMB_DRVR 5.22 using /c=02 and it detects and converts the shadow ram region to ~170KB or thereabouts of free UMB's:

umbdrvr_vlsi_working.png
Filename
umbdrvr_vlsi_working.png
File size
188.45 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

No instability. So that's got to be down to how TLB was programming the memory controller IC.

One thing I need to do now is figure out how to exclude certain ranges from UMB_DRVR, as by default is uses all of the regions that my EMS card (an 8MB Everex EV178) uses for its page frame. I guess that will be listed in the manual, as its going to be a fairly common thing to need to do.

Reply 9 of 21, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So umb_drvr.sys uses a weird dots-and-dashes mechanism for determining what to do with each 16kbyte block in the 640-1024 region. i.e.

device=c:\drivers\umb_drvr.sys /c=02 /m=........................

That's the default behaviour, with each 16kb block being used for UMB unless it has a ROM in it, in which case it is (usually) excluded. It automatically shadows ROMs too, which is neat; so I get my XT-IDE BIOS shadowed for free, which with this very basic AMI BIOS itself I had no option to do.

If you want to 'protect' a range from being turned into a UMB, then you insert a '-' into its place. So for me, my Everex card places a 64kb page frame at C8000. So I think that means:

device=c:\drivers\umb_drvr.sys /c=02 /m=..........----..........

And that does indeed cause umb_drvr to not use that region for UMB memory (and the available UMB drops by a corresponding amount), but the Everex driver still refuses to load, complaining that it is unable to find a free page frame. I uncomment umb_drvr and the Everex EMS driver loads again (with all 511 EMS pages 🤣!).

Reply 11 of 21, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The latter works just fine, except for the fact that the Everex EMS driver takes up another 15KB of conventional memory doing it that way.

I can try shifting the page frame around, but I'll need to alter where the XT-IDE BIOS appears via the 3Com card... and for some reason it's not letting me save the updated card settings back.

Reply 13 of 21, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-05-27, 21:26:

IME device drivers for hardware EMS boards don't take kindly to being loaded high period. You might just have to load it low and live with it

IME device drivers ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 14 of 21, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IME: in my experience

... and I think this is the crux of it. It doesn't matter how much of the reserved memory region I tell umb_drvr to exclude, if I try to load emm.sys high, it complains about not being able to find space for the page frame. If I leave it to load into conventional memory, it appears to be happy (and respects the address of the page frame I give it).

The only difference between these two outputs is the first is loading emm.sys as device=c:\...., and the second is loading it as devicehigh=c:\.... all other parameters are identical:

devicelow.png
Filename
devicelow.png
File size
207.31 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
devicehigh.png
Filename
devicehigh.png
File size
203.72 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I think that's just going to be what I'll have to live with.

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention, the Everex driver wants an 80KB page frame - not just 64KB. I only spotted this via CheckIt, where it reported that the size of the EMS frame that had been installed was not 64KB as I expected.

Reply 15 of 21, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Many LIM 4.0 EMS cards are capable of having a page frame larger than 64kB, and will often automatically fill up any space available in the UMA to them (in 16kB page increments). There is generally little to no benefit to using a page frame above 64kB and you can probably control this with switches on EMM.SYS

Reply 16 of 21, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Isn't the whole point of LIM 4.0 EMS that it can do large page frame mode?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 17 of 21, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately there exists no manual for the EV178, just the emm.sys driver and one config exe to change the eeprom settings on the card.

No jumper or switch block details.

There is a driver for a similar card (a 10mb version) which does list some flags to emm.sys, but there's no page frame sizing amongst them - just page fram base address, number of EMS handles and a 'verbose' initialisation mode.

Reply 18 of 21, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-05-28, 05:30:

Isn't the whole point of LIM 4.0 EMS that it can do large page frame mode?

Not really, I'd say the "point" was being able to map pages in and out of conventional memory with register writes

Reply 19 of 21, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's what large page frame mode is.
With LIM 4.0, you can have multiple page frames larger than 64kb, and you can also locate them in conventional memory.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium