VOGONS

First post, by paatudos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

K6-2+ 500mhz CPU heatsink fan doesn't start spinning ?
Is it the motherboard dead ? motherboard is Asus P5A-B.

GPU & HDD starts spinning but CPU Fan doens't

Things I tried:
- I tried multiple different fans in every fan socket of motherboard
- Tried with different power supply

I can't imagine that jumper settings has to be correct so the motherboard heatsink plugs starts to work ?
Like chassis fan socket should work even if not cpu plugged in, if turn power on.

Any suggestions ?

Reply 1 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does the system actually turn on? Are you getting video output?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 12, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, assuming that the hard drive spindle and the GPU fan both stay spinning, then the PSU must be up, so probably not a short and shutdown (my first guess). I seem to remember that motherboard fan header pinouts weren't always standard about power and tach outputs, might be worth trying to check what the motherboard pinout is, and if it matches the connectors on your fans.

[looks like the pinout (looking at the power fan, but they're all the same, just rotated) should be black - red - yellow ]

[On Cyclone3d's point, the manual does mention that the board turns off the fans when in sleep mode, so maybe the motherboard isn't starting up]

[last edit... I found a nice picture on an Arduino message board (https://forum.arduino.cc/t/3-pin-pc-fan/607356 ) that demonstrate the confusion quite nicely. The picture shows one order of the wires and the table just beneath it has a differenet order]

Attachments

Reply 4 of 12, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snufkin wrote on 2021-05-28, 15:50:
Well, assuming that the hard drive spindle and the GPU fan both stay spinning, then the PSU must be up, so probably not a short […]
Show full quote

Well, assuming that the hard drive spindle and the GPU fan both stay spinning, then the PSU must be up, so probably not a short and shutdown (my first guess). I seem to remember that motherboard fan header pinouts weren't always standard about power and tach outputs, might be worth trying to check what the motherboard pinout is, and if it matches the connectors on your fans.

[looks like the pinout (looking at the power fan, but they're all the same, just rotated) should be black - red - yellow ]

[On Cyclone3d's point, the manual does mention that the board turns off the fans when in sleep mode, so maybe the motherboard isn't starting up]

[last edit... I found a nice picture on an Arduino message board (https://forum.arduino.cc/t/3-pin-pc-fan/607356 ) that demonstrate the confusion quite nicely. The picture shows one order of the wires and the table just beneath it has a differenet order]

Pinouts all look the same to me, pin 3 just has a different name

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 5 of 12, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2021-05-28, 16:19:

The tables are the same, but the picture/diagram shows the tach pin in the middle on pin 2, rather than +5/+12 power. If the fans that Paatudos has tried all have the tach pin in the middle (and I've seen fans with that pinout), then they won't work because the motherboard has the power pin in the middle. I'm [not] saying this is the problem, just that I think it's worth checking.

[edit, missed a word]

Reply 6 of 12, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
snufkin wrote on 2021-05-28, 16:24:
debs3759 wrote on 2021-05-28, 16:19:

The tables are the same, but the picture/diagram shows the tach pin in the middle on pin 2, rather than +5/+12 power. If the fans that Paatudos has tried all have the tach pin in the middle (and I've seen fans with that pinout), then they won't work because the motherboard has the power pin in the middle. I'm [not] saying this is the problem, just that I think it's worth checking.

[edit, missed a word]

the photo of the 3 pin connector is just crud.
annoyingly it's also the first on a google search.
consider it is just wired by some random colorblind chinese guy.
you assume the yellow one is tach, while they just used the yellow one as 12v power, which kinda fits with yellow on pc power being 12v. though yeah then there's red being used as tach.

meh.

adding to the confusion... https://landing.coolermaster.com/faq/3-pin-an … -wire-diagrams/ 🤣

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 7 of 12, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2021-05-28, 16:32:

Gotta love the all black wiring. Very stylish. Hotblack Desiato would approve.

DouglasAdams wrote:

“Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls that are labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you’ve done it."

Reply 8 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think I've ever run across a 3-pin fan that wasn't wired properly. After trying multiple fans, I would suspect that there is something wrong with the motherboard.

Do these fans work with a 3-pin to molex adapter?

We still don't have an answer whether or not the system is actually POSTing so we can't yet determine if it is just an issue with the fan headers or not.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 12, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's usually a single transistor on those old boards switching all fans on and off. Try to locate it and see wether it works.
Edit: Just looked up a picture. It's most likely this transistor that needs replacing. Check it with a multimeter. You should be able to do so in circuit.

Attachments

• prime suspect.jpg
    Filename
    prime suspect.jpg
    File size
    200.45 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 12, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very insightful, would be cool to know if this was the problem. If so I would personally be too lazy to fix it and just power the fans from some other source. (Given that this malfunctioning transistor does not have any more negative effects.)

(Because I use a modern psu I got myself a fan controller powered by a SATA cable.)

Reply 11 of 12, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depending what you know about the history of the board, this damage could have been caused by a single bad fan. Sometimes they draw too much current when they go bad. Even if the board has separate transistors for each header, the failing fan sometimes gets moved around to "test" each header, killing each of them in turn.

Reply 12 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also until about midway through thunderbird athlons or willamette P4s, fan headers could be pretty weak, allowing only 2 or 3oomA before releasing the magic smoke.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.