VOGONS

First post, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just purchased some old hardware from a friend including the following:

IBM 350 (Pentium 167 MHz, socket 7)
IBM 300PL (Pentium 3 / 500 MHZ, slot 1)

Is there a reason for me to keep both machines?

I'd like to play as wide of a range of games as possible, but here are some notable games:

• Sierra Games (ie. Police Quest 1)
  • Lemmings
  • Life and Death
  • Wolfenstein 3D
  • Doom 1 / 2
  • Duke Nukem 3D
  • Quake (might exclude from requirements list since I can play elsewhere)

I don't remember which generation/years these games came out but as a kid I had a 386/SX25, 486/DX266, and then other machines I don't remember.

Is there a reason for me to keep both machines? Do I really need a dedicated 486 machine for earlier DOS games?

Any advice is appreciated!

Reply 1 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pentiums are meant to drag arse at 386 speed with all the caches turned off and set to lowest multi, so you can give that a try. Make little switches on 2 or 3 pin headers to put on a faceplate to plug into the jumpers so you can do it without taking the machine apart every time.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 5, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the information! I think I can also use the 'setmul' utility, right?

Does that mean I should just keep the faster Pentium 3 (slot 1) machine? (ie. is there no benefit to having the slower Pentium 1?)

Reply 3 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry, I guess I was answering whether you needed another 486 machine, suggesting you try that on the slow pentium, to see if that gets you what you want. setmul only works on mobile and some other CPUs.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Slot 1 P3 makes for a great dos/9x PC. You have an ISA slot for dos sound card and something like a P3 500 should be able to play just about any Win9x games that don't run well in XP.
The only benefit of keeping the the socket 7 PC is if playing any speed sensitive games.
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … sensitive_games

Of course if you want a socket 7 PC then that's fair enough!
You can configure it with things like a voodoo 1 and nice sound card
and have the P3 more 9x focused with a later voodoo, alternative dos sound card and even set it up for some lan games (even if you've no one to play with)

I'd think your safe with the CPU upgrade.

486's don't really make for great retro PC's Too fast for early games but not fast enough for late dos games. Socket 7 is really a much better system.
That said I own 3 486's and no Socket 7's as have no nostalga for early Pentiums.
Even then all my dos games work just fine on my P3, its only when I want to go "full retro" with a pure dos/Win3x build do I fire up a 486.