VOGONS

First post, by randomnojutsu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently picked up an LTE 5400 but it's missing the hard drive and caddy/enclosure - including the IDE to proprietary Compaq adapter. I've seen loose adapters sold on eBay but I'm not sure which may be compatible between old Compaq laptop series... LTE 5000 series parts seem to be rare and come at a premium. Hoping I'll get lucky and find there a compatible adapter out there somewhere - my goal is to use compact flash for storage.

Was having difficulties finding a lot of info on this topic and I'm stumped - anyone have any advice? Please see attached for an image of the port inside the dedicated hard drive bay.

Thank you! 😀

B0E52C5A-5588-4C07-BCE8-CC968A95162D.jpeg
Filename
B0E52C5A-5588-4C07-BCE8-CC968A95162D.jpeg
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 7, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have had the same problem with a 1750... What is it with people? Oh well..

The part id is usually listed in the repair manual.

In my case the caddy, HDD and connector are listed as the same part though.

Reply 2 of 7, by randomnojutsu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been having some trouble locating the part # of the caddy itself... as you've said, it seems to match the drive part #. Here is what the caddy looks like, with a part # listed at least...

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/compaq … hard-2010362088

I did find a maintenance manual as well but it's not super helpful from what I've seen; although, they do talk about multibay storage which is something I could also consider if I get an external floppy drive to free up said bay.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/273408/Comp … page=270#manual

I'll just throw it out there too, if anyone has one of these I'm happy to purchase it from you.

Edit: two possible part numbers...
213722-001
213559-001

Reply 4 of 7, by randomnojutsu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-05-30, 16:19:

Sent you a pm.

Thank you! 😀 My account is apparently "too new" to reply to your message, ugh. If you want to message me your email address, I'll reply via email.

Thanks again!

Reply 6 of 7, by randomnojutsu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-05-31, 17:37:

The reason why I sent pm was just because I don't want to advertise.

For sure! Well it was a big favor, I ended picking up one of those items. 😀 Which model are you looking for, for your project? I'll likewise keep a look out for you.