VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xxbeefydjxx wrote on 2021-06-02, 17:36:

Grab yourself the Windows Update CD (I think it's from 04 ish?) it contains most of the final patches for Win98, and some other goodies.
I generally use that + a whole host of official updates that are backed up depending on what I want the machine to do.

I avoid KernelEX, any unofficial update "packs" and tweaks. Generally only using third party USB drivers and such again from official sources.

Hell, even with 3rd party USB drivers, I couldn't get a VIA USB 2.0 PCI to work in my Asus P2B.

Reply 21 of 22, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree best updates are none at all unless another driver or program requires it.
a fully "service packed" 9x install still isn't secure and a lot of the "enhancements" aren't really necessary and you already said you don't really want them anyway.

OSR2 and 98SE already has majority of the remotely useful patches included others you may need
Windows Installer 2.0 https://archive.org/details/instmsi
IE (5.5 is usually enough to satisfy any program requesting it)
and obviously Direct X

Drivers take a bit of hunting but once you find the individual files it gives you much more control and cleaner install.

Meh forget about USB, networking even if its simply with ftp is soooo worth the trouble

Reply 22 of 22, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2021-06-07, 12:42:
Agree best updates are none at all unless another driver or program requires it. a fully "service packed" 9x install still isn' […]
Show full quote

Agree best updates are none at all unless another driver or program requires it.
a fully "service packed" 9x install still isn't secure and a lot of the "enhancements" aren't really necessary and you already said you don't really want them anyway.

OSR2 and 98SE already has majority of the remotely useful patches included others you may need
Windows Installer 2.0 https://archive.org/details/instmsi
IE (5.5 is usually enough to satisfy any program requesting it)
and obviously Direct X

Drivers take a bit of hunting but once you find the individual files it gives you much more control and cleaner install.

Meh forget about USB, networking even if its simply with ftp is soooo worth the trouble

I will definitely limit the updates in the future to the 2.0 installer, DX 9, IE, and perhaps USB, just to see if I can get it to work. Right now, my main focus is getting my CRT monitor repaired (and to see about correcting the dimness of another CRT I have,) and buying a couple recommended LCDs that can handle DOS gaming better than other LCDs. I found another tech in a nearby city who is willing to look at the KDS, though I think I will look at my 19" Gateway myself, and I have a little 13 or 14 inch monitor I am going to practice on. I am also buying learn-to-solder kits and I am going to learn these skills so that I can maintain these vintage parts. They are getting too expensive to replace!