VOGONS

Reply 20 of 32, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-06-06, 18:44:

You should check the jumpers or post a picture and the mother board name here and get help. Once I accidently picked out jumper and got similar issues.

It's a P4B-M and there's low res images on Google. I can take some pictures for hi-res viewing though if it's to identify my jumpers etc.?

Reply 21 of 32, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah but you have switches it seems. Should be these two sets of switches:

Screenshot_20210606-210759.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_20210606-210759.jpg
File size
57.32 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

(If Google is correct)

Reply 22 of 32, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Overclock would not be in the BIOS for most of these old machines, it would be in the form of jumpers on the motherboard.

You've already reseated and cleaned the RAM, have you run Memtest? Try another video card or other RAM if possible.

Reply 23 of 32, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The user manual is available online.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/210911/Asus-P4b-M.html

It almost sounds like the EEPROM chip is dying but that would usually result in an error message when flashing a different BIOS version.

Does the board have any bulging capacitors? How is the voltage on the CMOS battery?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24 of 32, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-06-06, 19:13:

Yeah but you have switches it seems. Should be these two sets of switches:Screenshot_20210606-210759.jpg

(If Google is correct)

I've tried flicking those and I can get it to 2600mhz which is the correct speed of the processor but it doesn't make a difference.

Reply 25 of 32, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-06-06, 22:34:
The user manual is available online. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/210911/Asus-P4b-M.html […]
Show full quote

The user manual is available online.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/210911/Asus-P4b-M.html

It almost sounds like the EEPROM chip is dying but that would usually result in an error message when flashing a different BIOS version.

Does the board have any bulging capacitors? How is the voltage on the CMOS battery?

The CMOS battery is new and I can't see any bulging. A few look a bit bent?

Last edited by Tyrant on 2021-06-07, 07:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 32, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you also set the lower switch so that it is not on auto? I have no idea but maybe the auto function is not working what ever that is. I'm referring to that you said that you thought the CPU clock was higher than expected. Also as someone else said try to under clock.

/BR joakim

Reply 28 of 32, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-06-07, 09:46:

Did you also set the lower switch so that it is not on auto? I have no idea but maybe the auto function is not working what ever that is. I'm referring to that you said that you thought the CPU clock was higher than expected. Also as someone else said try to under clock.

/BR joakim

I turned them all on and then took the CMOS battery out for over an hour and I've been able to install 98se. I'm now trying to reset it to what it was before all this mess.

Reply 29 of 32, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A defective motherboard is a possibility but from what you describe it doesn't really sound like that.

Did you test either graphics card on another system to rule out the corrupted text being a symptom of bad video RAM?

How did you flash the BIOS? Which tool did you use and which operating system?

Do you have another compatible EEPROM?

What RAM are you using and at what speed?

As always pictures of yout hardware as well as the issues on the screen help a lot with remote troubleshooting.

Reply 30 of 32, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-06-07, 10:03:
A defective motherboard is a possibility but from what you describe it doesn't really sound like that. […]
Show full quote

A defective motherboard is a possibility but from what you describe it doesn't really sound like that.

Did you test either graphics card on another system to rule out the corrupted text being a symptom of bad video RAM?

As always pictures of yout hardware as well as the issues on the screen help a lot with remote troubleshooting.

I didn't test the cards on a different system no, only have one with an AGP slot. I used AFLASH and Windows 98se. I don't think so I've never even heard of an EEPROM. I'm using SDRAM and the default speed. It looks pretty stable at the moment but I'll take photos if the issues happen again.

Reply 31 of 32, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tyrant wrote on 2021-06-07, 10:12:
A defective motherboard is a possibility but from what you describe it doesn't really sound like that. […]
Show full quote

I didn't test the cards on a different system no, only have one with an AGP slot. I used AFLASH and Windows 98se. I don't think so I've never even heard of an EEPROM. I'm using SDRAM and the default speed. It looks pretty stable at the moment but I'll take photos if the issues happen again.

Oh, the issue has apparently dissappeared? Fingers crossed it stays that way! 😀

Reply 32 of 32, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-06-07, 10:13:
Tyrant wrote on 2021-06-07, 10:12:
Show full quote

Oh, the issue has apparently dissappeared? Fingers crossed it stays that way! 😀

I really hope so! Stresses me out big time hahaha