VOGONS

First post, by DraxDomax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know some of this info is available but I am still stuck.

Trying to get together this P55T2P4 rev 3.10 and I am looking at the Asus manual and google and can't sort myself out regarding a few things:

1. The MB CPU fan headers are "GND +12 GND" but my fan is black-red-yellow
- If I recall correctly, yellow was +12... So, I need to hack the FAN connector?
- Split the GND so each side on the MB gets a GND?
Hope the fan can work without 5v!

2. MB manual describes the speaker pinout as 5v-GND-GND-SPKR... I only got one red and one black wire on my speaker - that do I do here?

3. This is an AT case and an AT MB... But the MB seems to offer a SMI Suspend - "Green mode"... I can fabricate a push-button-switch (not on/off) - but is that going to work? Is it going to de-turbo stuff? Is it risky to the components?

For me, header sorting-out is the most annoying part of the build, maybe for you too... The Asus manual is exceptionally bad at describing jumpers and what they do. Extremely simple thing described in a language of pain and misery 😀 They made the engineer who designed the MB write the manual, didn't they? 😀
Just saying this to apologise for the boring topic and thank anyone with some helpful information!

Adding picture from manual about that header cluster:
mb.png

Reply 1 of 3, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't worry. Everything is easier than you expect.

For fans, the traditional coloring is GND=black, POWER=red. As most fans are 12V fans, the red wire on PC fans is supposed to be connected to +12V. ATX added a speed sensor output to fans, which often is yellow. The speed sensor output is designed in a way (open collector) that it doesn't hurt to connect it to GND. Your ATX fan thus perfectly fits that plug, and the board doesn't have a speed measurement chip.

For the speaker, just ignore the two GND pins in the center. The traditional AT speaker wiring uses only the outer two pins of the 4-pin connector, and that is how this board is to be connected, too. Note how the diagram only has two lines going from "speaker connector" to the board. Those two lines indicate the pins that are supposed to be used. One end of the speaker is connected to +5V, and the other end of the speaker is pulled down to GND when required, and left open at other times (this is, again, an open collector output).

Reply 2 of 3, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also: Black ground, yellow for 12V sometimes. The red is usually 5V wire for these power supply. Fan can have this black and red, and some fans have yellow. But tach output fans is black, red for 12V and yellow for tach.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes do not hook a standard fan to 5v it will not work and probably ruin it....

#3 yes for SMI you could add a "push on/push off" switch or if the case has a turbo switch use it. I never mess with those green/SMI connectors and let the BIOS and OS handle power management things if/when needed (actually rarely use PM on 486/pentium/p2/etc, have never seen the need. newer i3/i5/i7/amd motherboards and cpu's have good built in power saving modes and do use them)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun