VOGONS

First post, by deleted_acc

User metadata

I have installed Win98se on my system and installed all the drivers and it seems to be working no problem however one issue I have is that occasionally when doing a mid sized file transfer, whether its from cd or from a PNY usb driver I have, the system will randomly completely lock up during the transfer and the only way out is to reset or power off the computer. I have reinstalled Win98 twice to see if something was wrong with the install but to no avail as it still occurs. Any ideas on what is causing this?

Pentium lll Coppermine @ 733mhz
256 mb ram
Ati radeon 7500 32mb
2x sSATA 80gb drives
2x drives/ one IDE one Sata to ide drive

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply 1 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What sort of updates have you installed? Have you updated to Internet Explorer 6? There is a known bug there.
http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm
https://msfn.org/board/topic/84451-98-fe-98-s … shell32dll-fix/

Does the same problem occur if you use XCOPY from a command prompt? (You can try booting Puppy Linux from a CD and testing that way, alternatively.)

Reply 2 of 8, by deleted_acc

User metadata
Jorpho wrote on 2021-06-29, 04:47:
What sort of updates have you installed? Have you updated to Internet Explorer 6? There is a known bug there. http://www.frankpr […]
Show full quote

What sort of updates have you installed? Have you updated to Internet Explorer 6? There is a known bug there.
http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm
https://msfn.org/board/topic/84451-98-fe-98-s … shell32dll-fix/

Does the same problem occur if you use XCOPY from a command prompt? (You can try booting Puppy Linux from a CD and testing that way, alternatively.)

The updates I installed are the main updates from unofficial service pack 2.1a and win98 plus from winworldpc. Ironically, when I just now pulled up the "about internet explorer" to check the version number, the window popped up and the whole system immediately froze up. Running IE 5 still so that may not be an issue at the moment. DMA is enabled for both HDDs and is it possible this could be the system overheating or something?

Reply 3 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
reddbust wrote on 2021-06-29, 04:58:

DMA is enabled for both HDDs and is it possible this could be the system overheating or something?

Like I said: if it's a hardware problem, the way to be sure of that would be to eliminate Windows 98 from the equation. If you think DMA is at fault, then you should be able to disable that in the BIOS.

If a hardware problem is a possibility, then checking the motherboard for bulging and/or leaking capacitors is easy to do.

Reply 4 of 8, by deleted_acc

User metadata
Jorpho wrote on 2021-06-29, 14:07:
reddbust wrote on 2021-06-29, 04:58:

DMA is enabled for both HDDs and is it possible this could be the system overheating or something?

Like I said: if it's a hardware problem, the way to be sure of that would be to eliminate Windows 98 from the equation. If you think DMA is at fault, then you should be able to disable that in the BIOS.

If a hardware problem is a possibility, then checking the motherboard for bulging and/or leaking capacitors is easy to do.

So a quick update I disabled DMA on all drives then restarted and tried doing the copy like normal again but the system still froze so I will check the motherboard for swollen caps and try if xcopy freezes too.

Reply 5 of 8, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does it freeze when you do a copy from the hard drive to somewhere else on the hard drive? i.e. exclude any other drives.

Another thing I would be checking is memory; it's often the cause of random freezes and glitches - give memtest86 a run and see if you have any errors show up.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 6 of 8, by deleted_acc

User metadata
megatron-uk wrote on 2021-06-30, 08:09:

Does it freeze when you do a copy from the hard drive to somewhere else on the hard drive? i.e. exclude any other drives.

Another thing I would be checking is memory; it's often the cause of random freezes and glitches - give memtest86 a run and see if you have any errors show up.

I have ran memtest86 from hiren boot cd and let it run for about 3 hours and it passed all tests for memory without errors. I will try copying directly from 1 drive to another to see if anything works and also as stated in a previous reply, the syustem also froze when viewing "about internet explorer" when the window popped up the system immediately locked up.

Reply 7 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would possibly also suspect the unofficial service pack. I used to use one of the older ones back in the day and only did the official MS updated but don't remember if that was the whole main updates or not.

Now I just use the 2004 MS update CD available on vogonsdrivers.com

That and the drivers and NUSB.

The newer unofficial service pack will completely trash a bunch of stuff and can also cause super major file transfer issues.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 8, by deleted_acc

User metadata
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-07-01, 01:32:
I would possibly also suspect the unofficial service pack. I used to use one of the older ones back in the day and only did the […]
Show full quote

I would possibly also suspect the unofficial service pack. I used to use one of the older ones back in the day and only did the official MS updated but don't remember if that was the whole main updates or not.

Now I just use the 2004 MS update CD available on vogonsdrivers.com

That and the drivers and NUSB.

The newer unofficial service pack will completely trash a bunch of stuff and can also cause super major file transfer issues.

You have a point about the official service pack. I tried mini windows xp from hirens boot cd and tried doing a file transfer and the system had no freezing issues and when installing win98 before drivers I tried doing a file transfer and the system didn't have an freezing.