VOGONS

First post, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got the 5.25" 1.2 Mb drive working with a Thinkpad Dock I in pure DOS. The Thinkpad connected is a 760LD, but I expect it to work fine with any laptop supported by this docking station.

IMG_2895.jpg
Filename
IMG_2895.jpg
File size
501.58 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The drive is Epson SD-700. It's a slim drive, and can fit into the dock. Mine came with a standard face plate, so I have to cut it and paint it black. But there are drives with slim face plates, and not only of this brand.

epson.jpg
Filename
epson.jpg
File size
24.23 KiB
Views
File license
jumpers.png
Filename
jumpers.png
File size
627.13 KiB
Views
File license

The controller card is Adaptec AHA-1542CF SCSI/Floppy controller . It is configured to an alternative flopy address 370h in it's BIOS. Memory address for card BIOS is C8000h. Jumper settings as follows.

jumpers card.png
Filename
jumpers card.png
File size
50.95 KiB
Views
File license

The drive is connected to the connector before the twist, jumpers on the drive are set for drive B.
And the key is this DOSFDRV.SYS driver that allows access to the drive connected to the secondary address.
https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/techn ... post919840

string.png
Filename
string.png
File size
141.8 KiB
Views
File license

Eventually it shows up as drive E and works along with the existing 1.44Mb A drive.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 1 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is a nice looking 5.25" drive, with a pretty neat eject mechanism. It doesn't seem like they're terribly common, so it would be a shame to cut the bezel.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 13, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dinth wrote on 2021-06-29, 15:59:

I never seen a 5.25" drive with an eject button. Were those common?

They were not common. Looks like it was typical mostly for slim (1 inch thick) drives . Like Canon MD-5501 or TEAC FD-155GF.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 6 of 13, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-07-01, 01:20:

That's awesome! Glad the driver is working for you!

Thank you for the driver, maxtherabbit! It would not be possible otherwise.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 7 of 13, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just wondering, what if I connect a second drive to the secondary controller? Guess i have to load the driver for it too. Is it going to work?

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 8 of 13, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bondi wrote on 2021-07-09, 10:41:

Just wondering, what if I connect a second drive to the secondary controller? Guess i have to load the driver for it too. Is it going to work?

Yes it will work if you load two instances, but there is a bug where you cannot copy files directly between the two managed drives.

In the next version I plan to make it so one instance of the driver can handle multiple drives and circumvent the problem.

Reply 9 of 13, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-07-09, 23:21:
Bondi wrote on 2021-07-09, 10:41:

Yes it will work if you load two instances, but there is a bug where you cannot copy files directly between the two managed drives.

In the next version I plan to make it so one instance of the driver can handle multiple drives and circumvent the problem.

Thank you for the reply. The "bug" is not critical in my case. But It's good to know the new version is planned.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 10 of 13, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found a non-working SD-700 drive that was already partially cannibalized, but had the face plate. So I modified it for my needs, made it slim and black. Turned out pretty well IMO. Will post the final look of the dock later on.

IMG_3174.jpg
Filename
IMG_3174.jpg
File size
583.22 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 11 of 13, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote on 2021-09-02, 11:38:

I found a non-working SD-700 drive that was already partially cannibalized, but had the face plate. So I modified it for my needs, made it slim and black. Turned out pretty well IMO. Will post the final look of the dock later on.
IMG_3174.jpg

Ideal outcome, and very nicely modified.

Reply 12 of 13, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-09-02, 11:45:
Bondi wrote on 2021-09-02, 11:38:

IMG_3174.jpg

Ideal outcome, and very nicely modified.

Thanks, Pierre!

And here is the final result.

IMG_3176.jpg
Filename
IMG_3176.jpg
File size
520.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_3175.jpg
Filename
IMG_3175.jpg
File size
421.53 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Just for fun I hooked up the PCMCIA FDD and all three drives work together.
I also tried the external IBM drive. For some reason it did not work simultaneously with the built in stock drive. Changing the setting to swap A and B drives just makes the situation reverse - external works, built in doesn't. But the 5.25 anf PCMCIA drives work anyway.
Theoretically I could connect a second drive on the secondary controller, but there is no room for it in the dock.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart