VOGONS

First post, by roggles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a PS/2 keyboard attached to a Belkin Omniview KVM (F1D104-OSD) that I'm trying to use with two machines—a 486 and a Socket 7 motherboard (both have AT keyboard connectors). I have two AT to PS/2 (DIN to mini-DIN) adapters, which look identical but came from two different sources. Both adapters work with both motherboards when I attach them directly to PS/2 keyboards. However, only one of the adapters works when connected to the KVM; the other causes the motherboards to stop the boot with a keyboard error / no keyboard present error.

I used a multimeter to check that the connections on both adapters are sound (CLK/DAT/GND/Vcc are all connected to the right pins), which makes sense because even the adapter that doesn't work with the KVM works with the PS/2 keyboard. Is there anything else that could be different about these adapters that could be interfering with the KVM?

Reply 1 of 4, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's the resistance? Perhaps one adapter has slightly higher resistance than the other, causing the keyboard signals to be out of spec for the KVM?

I've an odd problem with one of my Belkin KVM's where a PS2 keyboard works perfectly when connected to a external keyboard adapter on a ZX Spectrum, but via the KVM the same keyboard is completely dead.

In theory PS2 KVM's should pose less of an issue with connectivity than a complex protocol like USB, but it's still a bit of a lottery.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm wondering if one manufacturer broke things by trying to "bulletproof" it with tie ups or tie downs or suppression caps.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 4, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the KVM PS/2 connector only works in one of the AT to PS/2 adapters? But all other combinations of keyboards and adapters work ok? Maybe there's some pin/socket dirt/corrosion problem that lines up just wrong with the problem combination? Did you also check if the unused pins and the shield are connected through for both connectors, in case the KVM needs the shield as a reference for something?

Reply 4 of 4, by roggles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the suggestions. As I was poking around with my breadboard leads to check everything per your advice (resistance, connection of pins to the shield, etc.) I realized that two of the pins on the PS/2 side of the faulty adapter (the DAT and unconnected pin 2) were much less "tight" than the other pins (the other pins, and all the pins of the working adapter, have some resistance when you stick a breadboard lead in).

My guess is that the connector pins on the keyboard I've been using (and the breadboard leads I've been testing with) are either thick enough or long enough to make contact with the loose DAT pin on the faulty adapter, but not the pins of the PS/2 cable I'm mating the adapters to. (Indeed, when I connect the adapter to the PS/2 cable, I don't get a through-connection from the DAT pin on the DIN end of the adapter through to the PS/2 cable's DAT pin on the other end).

So this looks like it may just be a faulty PS/2 connector on the adapter rather than something intentional; I didn't find any pull-ups or pull-downs on any of the pins, resistance on the line more than 1 ohm or so, or any connections to the shield (besides the shields themselves). I appreciate all the suggestions since it did help me find what I think is the cause!