VOGONS

First post, by art84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, I've picked up some bits for a win 98 retro gaming P.C build comprising of MSI KM2M Combo MS-6738 (socket A - 462), AMD ATHLON XP2000 1.67 GHZ, Matrox G400 MAX GPU and one stick of DDR 256mb 133mhz ram. (already have loads of other parts too, just need a case now and CD drive)

The system boots up and posts the bios startup screen however when I select F1 (to set standard defaults) or press DEL (to enter bios menu) both options give me a black screen and loss of video connection, power stays on etc. If I restart I don't get the inital boot screen again unless I clear CMOS and restart.

I HAVEN'T currently got any older monitor although that's what I'm going to try next as I only have access to a VGA- HDMI converter dongle, my L.G 1080p 240hz monitor and my 4K T.V's... I know in the past I've had issues with running low res retro games consoles on these newer screens as they only worked on older T.V's (which I no longer have) so I'm leaning towards that theory at the moment. It's weird it shows the post screen but won't show the bios settings menu... unless it's maybe displaying less than 640x480 in bios settings so that's why maybe the converter doesn't work etc. Just wondering if anyone has any other advice asides from the older monitor which I'm trying to arrange right now? I might have also just picked up a dud I guess?!? I'll also post what I've tried below. MANY THANKS

So far I've tried...

reset bios/ clear CMOS

double check all connections

re-seat ram + CPU

onboard graphics output only, then add GPU using gpu out VGA

removing IDE H.D

put a new CR2032 battery on the board

I'm about to double check the bios version vs the CPU in case someone stuck it in and it wasn't supported without an update (although my experience says it most likely wouldn't even initially post if that was the case)

**Will edit with any other things tried later**

Reply 1 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm yeah having just a HDMI-VGA adapter is not good for old boards but do not think that is the issue.
Do you have a speaker hooked up ? Does it beep ?
Assume you have both the 20pin and 4pin CPU PSU connections plugged in, what PSU are you using ?
Have you tried changing Jumper sw1 to 1-2 for 100Mhz just to see what happens ? I know the XP2000+ is a 133Mhz bus but it cannot hurt.
How do the big capacitors near the PSU connectors and VRM heatsink look ? Any bulging/tan coloring on the tops ?

Added: according to archived MSI the BIOS v1.0 does support a Xp2000+ , from Nov 2003:
http://web.archive.org/web/20031123111411/htt … ail.php?UID=411

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 2, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you can boot into DOS you could try to flash the BIOS. Maybe something got corrupted, maybe there's some fix for exactly your problem in a newer version?
I just realised this isn't an option due to the F1 thing.🤦‍♂️
Do you have a way of externally flashing the BIOS EEPROM?