VOGONS

First post, by jhandsel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a Mitsubishi MF504C high density drive that was working perfectly until I tried to install a game off an old diskette. The diskette looked normal, but after I inserted it the drive made a loud rubbing noise, as if the heads were clamped too tightly on the disk's surface while it was spinning.

Thinking that the drive had developed a problem since I last used it, I put the same floppy into another drive and I got the same loud rubbing noise. Now neither of them will read any floppy! The drives just spin and I get the standard Abort/Retry/Fail message. Sometimes I can cd into the drive and see the contents, but the drive won't read anything larger than a single-line text file. I haven't managed to diagnose what the damage is — hopefully just misaligned heads, but I can't rule out permanent damage 🙁

This is really weird as nothing looked wrong with the game floppy (pics attached). On closer inspection there are striations on the disk's surface as if it had indeed been clamped too tightly, but I've no idea why this would happen.

Has anyone seen this happen before?

Attachments

• IMG_2830.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2830.JPG
    File size
    1.58 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Evil floppy surface
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_2831.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2831.JPG
    File size
    1.19 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Evil floppy back
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_2828.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2828.JPG
    File size
    1.33 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Evil floppy front
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 9, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The drive may be fine if you clean the heads. Some old floppies just disintegrate like that.
Edit: And since you're expecting misalinged heads, don't try any adjustments unless you really know what you're doing. Just clean the heads carefully or with a cleaning disk.

Last edited by Doornkaat on 2021-07-01, 13:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just clean the heads. The disk failed due to shedding and should be thrown away. There's nothing mechanically wrong with the drives.

Do not try to use the drives to read any other disks until you clean them. The oxide build up on the heads can damage the disk surface

Reply 3 of 9, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jhandsel wrote on 2021-07-01, 13:28:
I've got a Mitsubishi MF504C high density drive that was working perfectly until I tried to install a game off an old diskette. […]
Show full quote

I've got a Mitsubishi MF504C high density drive that was working perfectly until I tried to install a game off an old diskette. The diskette looked normal, but after I inserted it the drive made a loud rubbing noise, as if the heads were clamped too tightly on the disk's surface while it was spinning.

Thinking that the drive had developed a problem since I last used it, I put the same floppy into another drive and I got the same loud rubbing noise. Now neither of them will read any floppy! The drives just spin and I get the standard Abort/Retry/Fail message. Sometimes I can cd into the drive and see the contents, but the drive won't read anything larger than a single-line text file. I haven't managed to diagnose what the damage is — hopefully just misaligned heads, but I can't rule out permanent damage 🙁

This is really weird as nothing looked wrong with the game floppy (pics attached). On closer inspection there are striations on the disk's surface as if it had indeed been clamped too tightly, but I've no idea why this would happen.

Has anyone seen this happen before?

Yep, exactly the same thing happened to my IBM AT floppy drive. It was working fine, then I tried a Karateka floppy on 5.25", heard a horrible grinding and saw the rings on the disk. Cleaned up the drive heads with swabs and isopropyl alcohol ... then it ruined my previously working Gato disk 🙁 both original game floppies too so doubly sad. Further cleaning and testing resulted in a bunch of scratched and ruined blank floppies.

In my case I plan to replace the drive, so proceed with caution even if you do clean the heads.

Reply 5 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IPA evaporates quickly so you need to gently soak the head surface where the read head lines are for a bit. Then gently with drier IPA q-tips gently wipe off.
One quirk with old floppies is that they can get some dust inside the plastic sleeve or the oxide flakes off which can be like sandpaper to the heads and ruin them quickly on old drives....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 9, by jhandsel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyway thanks for your advice everyone.

I cleaned the heads much more thoroughly with IPA again, and the drive is back to working condition. After swabbing with a q-tip, I also put a drop of IPA on a thin strip of white paper, gently clamped it between the heads and pulled it out, to simulate a cleaning floppy.

I’ll definitely be more careful about putting a shedding or dusty floppy in my drives in future.