VOGONS

First post, by DraxDomax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got for free a p55t2p4 rev 3.0 (a replacement under warranty to another board I might have actually fixed).
While inspecting the board before installation, I noticed it has what appears to be a blown or smashed resistor (or other SMD "secret" part). It's near the L2 Cache chips:
uc?export=download&id=1mwW7EF7FeAxxQTmCsw5JGnZ6VCH8_jsP

Questions:
1. How can I find out what is this component? I have a kit with lots of SMD bits, I might have a replacement...
2. If I get the exact same specs, can I use a through-hole component instead of an SMD? I seem to have enough room for a "standing" through-hole resistor
3. Do you reckon it may be OK to install the motherboard as it is and see if it works - or a risk to cause further damage and/or fry another component down the line?

Reply 2 of 9, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Might work without it. I believe that is for the cache chip voltage stabilization. You can see a similar unlabeled capacitor on the chip below it. You can probably just install a 1uF cap and it will be fine.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 3 of 9, by DraxDomax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah - you make sense!
I did try to look around the other chip but the "shape" of how things are laid out is different and I gave up...
However, screw the layout! Look at the actual pins!

I am thinking to remove the SMD that looks good on the other chip and measure that...

Do you suppose these can be replaced with through-hole ceramic caps?

Reply 4 of 9, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could try to ghetto mount one, but it is recommended to use a SMD cap. They look to be 0805 size, so it is just about as easy to solder as a through hole component.

Follow this method for soldering a surface mount passive that size: https://youtu.be/PU7wLcuqc-I

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 5 of 9, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DraxDomax wrote on 2021-07-03, 19:07:

Do you suppose these can be replaced with through-hole ceramic caps?

If these caps are for voltage stabilization ("bypass caps"), they are usually 100nF multi-layer ceramic capacitors. SMD capacitors are slightly more effective, because the leads of the through-hole capacitor put it further away from the circuit (board) than an SMD cap. If you solder a 100nF through-hole capacitor there with minimal lead length, it should work fine, too.

Reply 7 of 9, by DraxDomax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I took the good one off, from the other IC.
According to my tester, it's 130nf.

Unfortunately, in my little baggy of SMDs, there are not a lot of caps... 47 and 300 somthing... And I'd rather not build some network to get an equivalent 😀
Can barely see how to solder the good one back! 😁

I am going to measure and install a through-hole ceramic capacitor. Will keep the legs as short as possible...
Before testing, will check here in case someone says "nooo don't do that!" 😉

Reply 8 of 9, by DraxDomax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I mean the weird thing is that the first time I measured it, it was 150nf.
But 10 measurements after that, all showed 130nf... Maybe it was the heat from desoldering...
On the other hand, 130nf doesn't sound like a standard size...

Oh well!

Reply 9 of 9, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DraxDomax wrote on 2021-07-03, 22:03:

I mean the weird thing is that the first time I measured it, it was 150nf.
But 10 measurements after that, all showed 130nf... Maybe it was the heat from desoldering...
On the other hand, 130nf doesn't sound like a standard size...

It's extremely likely a standard 100nF cap. Every uses 100nF caps for that purpose since the early 80s. Don't worry about exact capacity. You might be right that heat influences the capacity, also the wiring from the cap to the meter might do so. The exact capacity doesn't matter, though. 47nF or 220nF would also work good enough at that position. 100nF is just a convention.