VOGONS

First post, by theominousmrv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ive been playing with a Pentium mmx 233 SL293, underclocking it with setmul and l2 cache disabling, with motherboard cpu speed jumpers set to 120mhz.
Enabling my Socket 7 computer's "Turbo" on top of that brings its speedsys score down to 6.44. i was wondering approximately what MHz that's at, if possible to know.
I havent really found anything that can show me the MHz through a benchmark, just benchmark scores.
And considering that the turbo still works after all that (unturbo is at a score of around 10), what might the turbo be doing to slow it so? Wait states?

any way to slow it more? I kinda doubt it
Landmark System Speed says its 20.5MHz. Is that pretty much it? I know that program uses like, a weird AT-MHz.
That program makes my motherboard make clicking sounds, so im not a fan.

Motherboard is a M-Tech Mustang R-534G

Attachments

Last edited by theominousmrv on 2021-07-05, 14:00. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The exact MHz number doesn't really make much sense, unless you're comparing the same CPU. What's important is that 6.44 is in the 386/40 territory, so you know you have about that speed.
Also I believe it's the other way around, turbo enabled is the high speed and turbo disabled the low 😉

Last edited by konc on 2021-07-05, 11:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by theominousmrv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2021-07-05, 06:01:

The exact MHz number doesn't really make much sense, unless you're comparing the same CPU. What's important is that 6.44 is in the 386/40 territory, so you know you have about that speed.
Also I believe it's the other way around, turbo enables is the high speed and turbo disabled the low 😉

I dont have an actual button for it, so ive been using a jumper on the header, so i dont know whether turbo being On or Off is what makes it go normal speed or slow 🤣 i did want to say "deturbo" tho
I mostly just wanted to have an accurate reading. Is there something i can use to test how close to a 386 it is? a speed sensitive game perhaps?

Reply 3 of 4, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
theominousmrv wrote on 2021-07-05, 06:05:

Is there something i can use to test how close to a 386 it is? a speed sensitive game perhaps?

I'd try a couple of benchmarks that show values for some specific CPUs like Speedsys, Norton Utilities or NSSI do. If 2 or 3 of them show a result close to a 386/40 well then this is what you have achieved.

Reply 4 of 4, by theominousmrv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2021-07-05, 11:12:
theominousmrv wrote on 2021-07-05, 06:05:

Is there something i can use to test how close to a 386 it is? a speed sensitive game perhaps?

I'd try a couple of benchmarks that show values for some specific CPUs like Speedsys, Norton Utilities or NSSI do. If 2 or 3 of them show a result close to a 386/40 well then this is what you have achieved.

Thanks for telling me about NSSI. This is a better scale, accurate enough for me anyway. So something like a mid-range 386.

Attachments