VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I looked, but didn't see any threads on this, so sorry if I missed them...

Does anyone have any suggestions for the newest /most powerful laptop/notebook capable of running Win98 SE?
I'll want it to run win95 and dos games on it, as well as some win95/dos applications, so compatibility will be importan.

I know I could run DOSBOX and/or VirtualBox, but that's a bit removed and has its own headaches.

I'm looking for specific model suggestions, rather than specs (though specs will do if no models come to mind).

Old systems like the Toshiba 400 series and Compaq 5800 /7000 series are as expensive anymore as newer systems would cost, and I think would be harder to find. Also a newer system is likely to have better display quality.

Reply 1 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The big things are sound and video driver support.

For Win98SE, you can go as high as GeForce 7xxx

But for DOS sound, you are much more limited and will most likely need a PCMCIA sound card.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a rough spot in the laptop chronological continuum... years 2005-2008 were very badly affected by failures of immature lead free solder processes, either at the chip supply level or system integration level... anything you get from those years that happens to still be working through some fluke, may suddenly die on you. Well it's all old, everything may suddenly die on you, but these have the life expectancy of a 110 year old diabetic smoker with cardiovascular disease, who just pissed off several organised crime syndicates at once. This roughly coincides with the advent of dual cores and windows vista. Past 2008 you're getting very unlikely to have Win98 drivers for major components, 2005 or earlier, you're looking at Turion64s, P4M 2.4 etc as fastest. However, it's not all roses without thorns pre-2005, backlights seemed to only have a 3-5 year lifespan, and closer to 2000ish, it seemed like everyone forgot how to build hinges.

Edit: Maybe lead free solder probs lasted longer than that, it just occurred to me that we had an i7 mobile desolder it's chipset, that was a 1st gen, must have been 2010 or 2011.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a Toshiba laptop that sports a regular Pentium 4 CPU and has a GeForce FX Go 5200.

Fine for 98, but DOS sound is not there.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 11, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got a HP NX6125 fully working with Win98SE and ME, but I needed a different WiFi card which made me have to install a modification to the machine since it uses a whitelist and video driver had to be edited with new ID to make it support the ATI video in the chipset. I don't think it will be easy to get something fully working much past that era, there simply won't be any driver support for most of the hardware in the machine.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 11, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe a ThinkPad, the T42 should be the last to support windows 98. IT runs a Pentium m which is kind of cool. Its Also the last thinkpad made by IBM. I have never owned one though and can't speak if it's gaming capabilities, should be a lot of YouTube videos of it as it seems common.

Reply 6 of 11, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-07-05, 20:14:

Maybe a ThinkPad, the T42 should be the last to support windows 98. IT runs a Pentium m which is kind of cool. Its Also the last thinkpad made by IBM. I have never owned one though and can't speak if it's gaming capabilities, should be a lot of YouTube videos of it as it seems common.

I have a T42 (Pentium M 2.0GHz, Radeon 9000) that I pair with an IBM Dock II. The laptop itself runs Windows 98 really well, and I put an Aureal Vortex (sometimes with a Dream Blaster S2 for MIDI) in the Dock II for DOS. It makes an excellent retro rig. I also love the T42's screen.

Reply 7 of 11, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Dell Latitude D600 works as well. It has almost exactly the same specs as the T42.

Joakim wrote on 2021-07-05, 20:14:

Depends on the specific model. I'd really like to have one with the highest available specs. I think it's Mobility Radeon 9700 or maybe 9600. The latter exists, I know. Sadly whenever I see one it's a Mobility Radeon 7500 or 9000.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 9 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you really need dos or at least dos sound? as the laptops your already looking at will have dropped soundcard support in dos. Even by the P3 era a lot of laptops had dropped this.

Reply 10 of 11, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We use to use IBM Thinkpads at work.
Very good laptops and easy to fix and upgrade.
I ended up buying one for my personal laptop.
Very reliable. Don’t forget to get the Dock.
We ran Win-2000 but they support Win-98 too

Thinkpad “T42 and T43” series
Thinkpad “A21” series

Reply 11 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got one of these, and would recommend it on the basis that it still works. https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c00351201 and that you can swap between optical drive and floppy drive in the multibay. You only get DX7 hardware though. DOS sound may be got working by... VIA AC97 DOS Drivers?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.