VOGONS

CF To IDE (and SD Card) not working

Topic actions

First post, by devilish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

Seen issues on this forum about (Some) issues with these, and i've got one too.

I'm running a Slot 1 Asus P2B-S with a 350 PII.

What's happening with the CF -> IDE one is there is no power at all. Nothing. LED light at the rear backing plate is off, and the BIOS doesn't see anything at all. It's a very simple one, just the 5v floppy molex connector, IDE connector and a jumper for master/slave (it's on, indicating master).

The SD Card version has lights, the power and card detect led's are on, but the active one doesn't light up. The BIOS doesn't see that one either.

Not convinced two cards could be faulty, and the molex extensions i've put in all work, as the floppy drive works with no hitches. I keep thinking it's power related, but i've seen others with geometry and LMA and things like that. The Board's BIOS is the most recent (2002) from the start up screen.

Both cards are 2GB ones; a Transcend 133 for the CF; SD card is unbranded. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Reply 1 of 31, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess you don't have an other computer to test them with or you would have done so.

If you think its power related you can measure the voltages on the IDE cable against ground.

Personally I suspect the IDE cable. Stupid question, but are you sure it is connected in the right way?

If a hard drive is connected to the cable, does it work?

Reply 2 of 31, by devilish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sadly as this is my 1st retro build, i've got very little to test with. I do have another IDE cable coming tomorrow, so I can test against that - although the one I was using was brand new out of the packet. *EDIT i've found another cable, but that didn't work either.

This IDE cable has the notch in it, so that's ruled out. The SD card version has the power LED lit, so it isn't making much sense to me.

Reply 3 of 31, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I don't want to say something maybe obvious, but the ide cable has the pins numbered from 1 to 40, and therefore they must be connected in the same way in the adapter, if by chance you put them on one side upside down it is normal that it does not work!
Make sure that the cable is connected correctly, the side with the red border is that of pin 1, so it is easy to connect to the mb (always pin 1), on the adapter it may happen that it does not say which pin 1 is, but you have to see where in the center there is a slot, if you put it on the top right there is pin 1.
Obviously then you have to set the HD as master and the adapter as slave, for the HD you have to check that this is already the case, for the adapter just move the jumper to open the contact.

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 4 of 31, by babtras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have had mixed success with CF->IDE adapters, I have a few here that are apparently read-only. The drive is seen and you can run fdisk to partition it, but upon reboot the partitions are gone and you have a blank card still. Switch to another adapter and BIOS doesn't detect it, but it works just fine, read and write, if you configure the C/H/S parameters manually (as written down from the earlier autodetection).

Reply 5 of 31, by devilish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some progress.

Put the IDE cable in "master" on the motherboard, and removed the jumper on the adapter as you said to slave....And it lit up! Thought it had been fixed, but alas...nope. It is now leaning towards IDE - but why? the cables only go in one way (notched) so is it just an incomptable cable/duff ones? Even that doesn't stack up as ive tried two with no success.

Reply 7 of 31, by devilish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It might be the socket. I plugged it into the secondary IDE channel (as mentioned in last comment.), and got some life. Does this mean now the primary IDE channel is faulty?

Attachments

• hard drive.jpg
    Filename
    hard drive.jpg
    File size
    72.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 8 of 31, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would first clean it with alcohol and look if any pins are bent or missing. After that, Investigate the motherboard on both sides especially around the IDE connectors and south bridge. Look for bad capacitors, missing capacitors burnt areas..

Reply 9 of 31, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

out of curiosity... are you using an 80 wire cable or a 40 wire one ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 11 of 31, by devilish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got it to run on Secondary IDE Master, and the CD drive seperately - as I can't run both at the same time at the moment. Both are recognised by the BIOS, but it just hangs past POST (after hard drive or CD drive detection). Still think it's the IDE cable, but tried 3 of them with no success.

Reply 12 of 31, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
I have only a few hours of experience with these adapters but from that I would suggest you try this:

Go to the BIOS and, If possible, "throttle" the IDE port settings by disabling LBA, setting it to PIO Mode 1 and UDMA to the lowest value.

The goal is to find if there is a lowest common denominator which allows your board to properly communicate with the card. If that works, you "tune up" the settings from there, one by one and testing the boot process after every change.

Don't go ahead with a laborious OS installation until you find the best performant combination that works, just in case a later change alters the detected geometry and renders your partition unreadable.

Edit: also, I think mine is picky about having a second drive in the same channel, but I haven't confirmed that yet. So start by using just the adapter.

HTH.
AbD

Reply 13 of 31, by devilish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I've tried all of the settings you mentioned, disabling LBA, and to PIO mode 1, etc....and nothing. Still hangs at the hard drive detect stage. The Compactflash red LED goes out when it's about to be detected/when it hangs. I think i'll need to acquire an old IDE drive and this new cable i've ordered to see if that changes anything.

Reply 14 of 31, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem seems too particular to be for instance the PSU. I think this is a problem with the motherboard or bios.

Did you check the board for damage, dirt etc? On both sides.

If it is ok I would start from scratch.

Check also a that any components are not touching the backplate of the case. Hell, even take it out of the case and test it before you put it in. Connect the CPU, one ram stick, gfx and the SD2ide.

Reply 16 of 31, by devilish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's the device.

When the hard drives are not installed, everything goes through smoothly and can use the FDD to get into MS-DOS 6.22 setup, without issues (until it says no hard drive, obviously.)

Attachments

• back.jpg
    Filename
    back.jpg
    File size
    44.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • board.jpg
    Filename
    board.jpg
    File size
    53.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 17 of 31, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that's an 80 pin cable, and on those the connectors are fixed.
one for mainboard, one for slave, and one for master.

mixing them up is a no no.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 18 of 31, by devilish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ive got a 40 coming, so that's that done then. late edit: The guy who repaired and restored it on ebay forgot to tell me the primary IDE channel wasn't working... that explains that, at least. At least he admitted it and sending me a PCI / IDE controller for nothing to allow another channel.