VOGONS

First post, by IkeFox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got three of these cards with a bunch of old PC hardware, but was not able to identify them. There are no labels or device IDs on them, and they didn't come with any matching hardware.
It looks like something video related, as the chip at the top is a Motorola MC1377P "Color Television RGB to Pal/ntsc Encoder" according to a datasheet I found online. The chips in the lower left are a Goldstar GD74LS02 and GD74LS04 (two basic logic chips as I understand it). The card has an RCA and DA-15 (as used for game ports) connector.
Maybe someone could help identify these cards or knows what they are for?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi IkeFox, that's an interesting card - thanks for sharing!

I'm also curious. Must be video related,but I don't know what it is.

Maybe some sort of title generator?

The card is from the late 80/early 90s, likely.

Because, if it has older, the card design would be more 80s-like (like original AdLib).
And if it was never, the logic chips would be in SMD form.

Also, these RGB-Compsite converters became very rare in the 90s.

The French NES had one, too, which converted PAL signals to RGB.
That way, the French user could use a SCART cable.
Because, French Color TVs of the 70s/80s didn't support PAL. Just SECAM and RGB.
And SECAM was very difficult to generate, so early computers/consoles avoided it whenever possible.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 2, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks like it simply is a RGB to PAL composhit encoder that doesn't do anything else in the PC than use its power. You can see how none of the address and data pins are connected.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜