VOGONS

First post, by kohellus@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

more problems with my youth builds. Cant remember what i build back in the day but i had k5-100 and then 533 cehleron. probably amd-k62-300 in between. somewhere there and now iam trying build something. i had older stuff too. i started with C64 and then 286 but game wise this was the most glorious days 😀

I have a asus socket 7 with 500 k6 right now with et6000 pci and cant get it to work, tried installing unreal and directx5 but cant because w95 cant figure out the card. some say it should have drivers but i cant even open desktop/screen settings. Tried few options, its even vga or et but nothing working so unreal and directx says you eed atleast 256 colors.

Same goes with my 486 buil. I have pc-chips mptherboard and a umc motherboard. Both the same arrangement and both having the same cacahe 128kb, both seems to work but i went and got 256k cache and now both arent working. If anyone has some good manuals. i can give some numbers but what i found fron interweb either i have bad manuals or bad cache. Its always 32 or 64 or 8k but not the 256 i bought either of the mobos and the cache chips where bought from germany and russian from workin mobos, oh well 😀 but if someone has ideas?

Reply 1 of 3, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pictures of the mobos and part numbers of components you are having issue with would. I'd go back to square one without any mods/upgrades first. 256 colors shouldn't be much of a problem though on both systems. How much ra does each system have?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes all this ^^^
and yes you need video card drivers before you ET6000 before you install DirectX
and yes you have to change jumpers if you add more cache ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd also create separate topic for each PC. No doubt you'll run into more problems and its much easier following the tread based around 1 computer then trying to work out what post relates to what PC.