VOGONS

First post, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been having a ton of trouble trying to get a dell inspiron to connect to my Wi-Fi network at home, and the 1150 TrueMobile card in it can't even handle WPA under windows XP. I want to upgrade the internal card, rather than rely on a PCMCIA card with a poor antenna.

Does anyone know of MiniPCI cards that support WPA or WPA2 and windows 98?

Using a LAN cable is an option, of course, but since the battery still holds a complete charge, it'd be nice if I can carry it with me wherever I go without Ethernet cables.

I've heard of BCM4309 cards working, but needing a modified driver. I can't find any other information about this card though, and I am not willing to pay nearly 20 bucks with shipping for a card that might not even work. (https://msfn.org/board/topic/175486-wpa2-for-windows-9x/)

Reply 1 of 2, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
andreja6 wrote on 2021-07-23, 03:39:
I've been having a ton of trouble trying to get a dell inspiron to connect to my Wi-Fi network at home, and the 1150 TrueMobile […]
Show full quote

I've been having a ton of trouble trying to get a dell inspiron to connect to my Wi-Fi network at home, and the 1150 TrueMobile card in it can't even handle WPA under windows XP. I want to upgrade the internal card, rather than rely on a PCMCIA card with a poor antenna.

Using a LAN cable is an option, of course, but since the battery still holds a complete charge, it'd be nice if I can carry it with me wherever I go without Ethernet cables.

I've heard of BCM4309 cards working, but needing a modified driver. I can't find any other information about this card though, and I am not willing to pay nearly 20 bucks with shipping for a card that might not even work. (https://msfn.org/board/topic/175486-wpa2-for-windows-9x/)

Not what you are asking for, but a possible solution to connect over Ethernet to a WIFI client bridge that, in turn handles WIFI connectivity to your wireless access point :
Re: Need help setting up a Orinoco Gold under Windows For Workgroups 3.11/msdos

EDIT : And here is an example of a USB adapter that should work in WPA in Windows 98 Re: Sagem XG-760N for windows 9x...does this really work?

Reply 2 of 2, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-07-23, 05:45:
Not what you are asking for, but a possible solution to connect over Ethernet to a WIFI client bridge that, in turn handles WIFI […]
Show full quote
andreja6 wrote on 2021-07-23, 03:39:
I've been having a ton of trouble trying to get a dell inspiron to connect to my Wi-Fi network at home, and the 1150 TrueMobile […]
Show full quote

Not what you are asking for, but a possible solution to connect over Ethernet to a WIFI client bridge that, in turn handles WIFI connectivity to your wireless access point :
Re: Need help setting up a Orinoco Gold under Windows For Workgroups 3.11/msdos

EDIT : And here is an example of a USB adapter that should work in WPA in Windows 98 Re: Sagem XG-760N for windows 9x...does this really work?

I'm looking for MiniPCI cards that support Windows 98 and WPA or WPA2. I thought that was pretty clear. I saw that USB and I might consider that route instead, but that forum post doesn't raise my hopes for it