VOGONS

First post, by p6889k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have MSI MS-6103 dual Pentium Pro motherboard with 200MHz Pentium Pro with 256kb cache. I'm thinking of upgrading to 512kb or even 1MB cache version. Does anyone know if these would work in the board? I'm guessing 512kb version should work, but I remember that some boards needed BIOS update for the 1MB version. Unfortunately I couldn't find any documentation regarding CPU support for this board, beyond just the MHz and FSB specs. I have 512kb version already (in my single socket PPro board), so maybe just need to try it. But I really want the 1MB version, but don't want to shell out for 2 of them just to find out they don't work in my board.

Thank you.

Last edited by p6889k on 2021-07-25, 02:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k, 48k+, 128k, +2
Amiga 1200, 68030/40mhz
386DX/33, ET4000, SBPro2, MT32
Dual PPro/200, Millennium II, Voodoo 2, AWE32, SC-55
etc.

Reply 1 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cannot find any info if the 6103 supports 1MB cache cpu. Side note:
You really do not want the 1Mb versions for dual CPU boards, stick with the 512k. Have had nothing but trouble with them on many boards........but that is just my experience. Some boards they do run flawless !
Max ram is 512Mb so the 1Mb cache will not give much improvement over 512k as they both cache the whole memory IIRC...
maybe someone else has better info...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 9, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The speed difference between 256,512, and 1024 is marginal at best.

I've even owned 2 motherboards (both from asus) where one would work with 1mb chips, and the other would not. So its a crap shoot.

I say, buy the processors, and if they dont work, get a better board. ^.^

oh, and if you think 1mb chips are expensive, dont even bother looking up what the Overdrives cost.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 9, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From my small sample of four Socket 8 motherboards... they all take 1MB CPUs even if it doesn't say in the manual.

I did some benchmarks with 256/512/1024KB cache CPUs and the larger it is, the better it is - as there is more data it can hold for the CPU.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 9, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Ultimate 686 Benchmark Comparison

Well, in doom, the 256kb gets ~69FPS. where the 1mb, gets ~75.

is it better? yes.
is it worth the effort by itself? No.
is it worth the potential dick waving? hell yes, why else are we here?

Reply 5 of 9, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-07-25, 02:31:

Max ram is 512Mb so the 1Mb cache will not give much improvement over 512k as they both cache the whole memory IIRC...
maybe someone else has better info...

Yes, all is cached also work a 256 or 512 k version. But still, the 1M would hold a double or quadruple amount of the cached data in cache. All being cached only means that data from anywhere in memory can be cached ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 6 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have three soc 8 and one will not play nice w/1mb cpu, is a DFI G686IPA rev B, the other two it works fine, currently in an Intel VS440FX.
Yes they are quite expensive now compared to a few years ago !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 9, by p6889k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you everyone for your opinions. I agree that I likely won't really be able to tell performance difference from the 1MB version, but I also agree that we don't always assemble these systems based on what's sensible, but based on what's possible or just feels good. 😀 I'm not reaching any conclusions yet...maybe I'll add a single 512kb version (to the one 512kb I already have) for now and then over time I'll try to get the 1MB version or maybe even overdrives.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k, 48k+, 128k, +2
Amiga 1200, 68030/40mhz
386DX/33, ET4000, SBPro2, MT32
Dual PPro/200, Millennium II, Voodoo 2, AWE32, SC-55
etc.

Reply 8 of 9, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I sold both of my Overdrives as I didn't see a point of having a P-II on Socket 8 board. Also the speed difference wasn't all that much against PPro-1MB @233Mhz, maybe +20% at most.

D7NYgAN.jpg

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 9 of 9, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I need to get 6 of them for my ALR machine. Its not something I have the cash for.