VOGONS

First post, by RetroSpector78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was dontated a Pentium 4 with an Intel D845PESV Desktop board that came with the following splash screen :

2021-07-22 22.56.15.jpg
Filename
2021-07-22 22.56.15.jpg
File size
1.3 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The PC came with BIOS ID SV84510A.86A.0008.P04

Now due to a corrupt BIOS leaving the machine in BIOS recovery mode without video output, I had to reflash the BIOS.

I picked the latest SV84510A.86A.0017.P09 and noticed that the splash screen that I really liked disappeared.
Silent Boot is enabled and that should display the "oem logo" or splash screen

I also downloaded a BIOS archive with older versions and noticed that the splash screen I had is in none of the versions

• SVAP02IB.EXE
  • SVAP05IB.EXE
  • SVAP06IB.exe
  • svap07ib.exe
  • svap08ib.exe
2021-07-26 22.53.52 copy.jpg
Filename
2021-07-26 22.53.52 copy.jpg
File size
473.07 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Would anyone happen to know if the initial p4 splash that came with the machine can be downloaded somewhere ?
Found a lot of photographs from monitors but not the actual BMP or USR file.

Thx.

Reply 1 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Will look around but appears your original BIOS was a retail board with it's original BIOS flashed by Intel. The BIOS upgrades on Intels webite usually were for both retail and OEM channels (who then added their own image like Compaq).
Might be something in the old archives but adding an image to a Intel Pheonix bios is very tricky IIRC !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 7, by RetroSpector78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-07-27, 01:11:

Will look around but appears your original BIOS was a retail board with it's original BIOS flashed by Intel. The BIOS upgrades on Intels webite usually were for both retail and OEM channels (who then added their own image like Compaq).
Might be something in the old archives but adding an image to a Intel Pheonix bios is very tricky IIRC !

It is documented and implemented in a not-so-easy-to-use intel kinda way 😀

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/suppo … top-boards.html

There is a built-in provisioning in their flash tool to upload a splash screen (USR format).
They also have a tool to convert BMP to USR : https://rebyte.me/en/intel/134633/file-541639/ (link on intel site is dead)

But my MS Paint skills aren't that great 😀

Later intel desktop boards for pentium 4 mention custom splash screen designs in the documentation located at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/desig … ign-center.html

I requested access to it (private site) but unsure if they still keep these pentium 4 designs around as they already starting removing all other drivers / resources from their site.

Reply 3 of 7, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems easy enough to do (with the Splash utility) but without original artwork (BMP or USR) the results may disappoint, and there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to extract the content once its uploaded to the BIOS. The closest I could find online was this, and its already processed beyond the sharpness of the original.

Filename
Intel P4 Splash16 (BMP).zip
File size
186.58 KiB
Downloads
36 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Intel P4 Splash16 (JPG).jpg
Filename
File size
253.09 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 7, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you can go back to the bios version with the logo and extract it putting it into the laatest release but they stopped doing it at some stage i think netvista ones were some because of printing lag. Like slowing post summary down

Last edited by zapbuzz on 2021-07-27, 08:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 7, by RetroSpector78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I stand corrected, the splash screen (USR) is located in the Intel BIOS downloads for the board (LOGODATA.USR) but the BIOS update bootdisk generated by the Intel tooling doesn't use it.

If you run the iflash command interactively, you get a menu where you can update the user space with this USR file.

And as such the Pentium 4 splash screen as shown in the initial post here is again alive and kicking.

Reply 6 of 7, by RetroSpector78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-07-27, 08:29:

you can go back to the bios version with the logo and extract it putting it into the laatest release but they stopped boing it because of printing lag.

yeah I did look a at the older bios versions but I used the Intel bootable BIOS update disks, and there they execute the iflash command headless and they don't flash the splash screen.
Just launched the iflash command interactively now and noticed the menu option to select the LOGODATA.USR file.

The splash screen is again restored !

Reply 7 of 7, by RetroSpector78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-07-27, 08:25:

It seems easy enough to do (with the Splash utility) but without original artwork (BMP or USR) the results may disappoint, and there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to extract the content once its uploaded to the BIOS. The closest I could find online was this, and its already processed beyond the sharpness of the original.

Intel P4 Splash16 (BMP).zip

also found this one online , but a picture of a monitor output is never all that great when flashed into a BIOS.

But found another way (it was in the BIOS distribution after all, but the intel boot disks were not using it).