VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still need to bench it properly but so far switching to the 5428 instantly doubled my frame rates in Doom compared to the old card 😳 so that’s quite the result there.

I did have a bit of a panic when it displayed garbled colours on booting into Windows until I ran Setup and figured out I’d forgotten to switch from the old Trident drivers…. 😂

- P-MMX 200MHZ, PCChips M598LMR, Voodoo
- P-MMX 233MHz, FIC PA2013, S3 ViRGE + Voodoo
- PII 400MHz, MSI MS6119, ATI Rage Pro Turbo + Voodoo2 SLI
- PIII 1400MHz, ECS P6IPAT, Voodoo5 5500
- Toshiba Libretto 110CT, 300MHz, 96MB RAM

Reply 21 of 25, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice!

I guess I stumbled on the Phils CL vid yesterday that has a lot of ppl saying they're "No" faster, when he did a test with a DX33, which showed them faster but not by a lot. But then in another vid he did them with a DX2-66 which spread them out more. Though strangely first vid is labelled with DX2 33 in the title. Basically discovered that slower CPUs are the bottleneck in more demanding games (Whodathunkit?)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 22 of 25, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-03, 12:22:

Nice!

I guess I stumbled on the Phils CL vid yesterday that has a lot of ppl saying they're "No" faster, when he did a test with a DX33, which showed them faster but not by a lot. But then in another vid he did them with a DX2-66 which spread them out more. Though strangely first vid is labelled with DX2 33 in the title. Basically discovered that slower CPUs are the bottleneck in more demanding games (Whodathunkit?)

It's quite hard to imagine isn't it?

And for the record Dos/Win3.x were faster on my Pentium 133 than what they were on my 286/16. Really a magical phenomenon....Can't explain it at all at all.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 23 of 25, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While reading through this thread a bit I was wondering, would it be possible for a VLB video card to operate in a 16 bit ISA slot? I have ATI Wonder 16 VGA card that works in either an 8 or 16 bit slot, so maybe the same applies to VLB video cards? Just wondering, maybe it depends on the card, dunno. I guess it could be interesting in terms of bench marking a motherboard, vga/chipset and cpu combo, testing on the same hardware. I see a lot of benchmarks are testing against with different graphics adapters and even though we already now that ISA is a bottleneck and slower than VLB, doing that test with the exact same card in VLB vs ISA would probably make more sense? I dunno, just thinking out loud...

Reply 24 of 25, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pan069 wrote on 2021-08-03, 22:00:

While reading through this thread a bit I was wondering, would it be possible for a VLB video card to operate in a 16 bit ISA slot? I have ATI Wonder 16 VGA card that works in either an 8 or 16 bit slot, so maybe the same applies to VLB video cards?

Generally no. The extension part on the VL slot with the higher contact density is a completely separate bus from the ISA bus. On (nearly) all VL graphics card, the graphics chip is connected to the VL bus only, and is not accessible through the ISA bus. Often, the video BIOS resides on the ISA bus (it's usually 8-bit only anyway and so slow that ISA doesn't hurt), but that's usually the only stuff on the ISA bus.

Reply 25 of 25, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah it’s a pretty conclusive result I would say, it’s actually just over double the FPS. Wonder if it’d be even more of a drastic difference with something like a 5x86 in there. It does turn out the CPU can be a bottleneck after all 🤷🏻‍♂️

I saw a bench somewhere between the exact same chip in both VLB and ISA form and it was pretty decisive but never a VLB card in an ISA slot. As per the above post I wouldn’t expect it to work. Maybe I’ll see what if anything happens tomorrow.

- P-MMX 200MHZ, PCChips M598LMR, Voodoo
- P-MMX 233MHz, FIC PA2013, S3 ViRGE + Voodoo
- PII 400MHz, MSI MS6119, ATI Rage Pro Turbo + Voodoo2 SLI
- PIII 1400MHz, ECS P6IPAT, Voodoo5 5500
- Toshiba Libretto 110CT, 300MHz, 96MB RAM