VOGONS

First post, by dudulinek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys.
I just finished Pentium 3 machine and there is something wrong i think. BX440 motherboard, P3 450MHz slot 1, 128MB RAM

- tested GPU Voodoo 3 16MB, TNT2 32MB, Matrox G100A 4MB and also PCI S3 Virge DX 4MB
- MS DOS 6.22

Games are slow, very bad performance, very low FPS. In dosbench iam getting worst results than my P233MMX machine.
I think there is something wrong with CPU? Check video please. Is this normal? Cpu changing frequency from 500Mhz to 150. Is there anything what can i do for example in bios?

https://youtu.be/bq9kYyX3U6Y
Last edited by dudulinek on 2021-08-21, 08:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK have a few thoughts after watching the off site video, which tells me no more than your description.
What motherboard exactly ? what else are you not telling us about your build ?
Can you post a few close up pictures of your build and at least tell us your motherboard make and model and a full list of all the parts ?
BTW: DOS 6.22 has a 64MB max, have you tried with 32MB ram ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 7, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dudulinek wrote on 2021-08-04, 23:58:
Hi guys. I just finished Pentium 3 machine and there is something wrong i think. BX440 motherboard, P3 450MHz slot 1, 128MB RAM […]
Show full quote

Hi guys.
I just finished Pentium 3 machine and there is something wrong i think. BX440 motherboard, P3 450MHz slot 1, 128MB RAM

- tested GPU Voodoo 3 16MB, TNT2 32MB, Matrox G100A 4MB and also PCI S3 Virge DX 4MB
- MS DOS 6.22

Games are slow, very bad performance, very low FPS. In dosbench iam getting worst results than my P233MMX machine.
I think there is something wrong with CPU? Check video please. Is this normal? Cpu changing frequency from 500Mhz to 150. Is there anything what can i do for example in bios?

I would start with checking all jumpers (or switch blocks).
Look for misplaced of missing ones.

Reply 3 of 7, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I misread the thread title as Crazy Penguin...

Attachments

• santang.png
    Filename
    santang.png
    File size
    80.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 7, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try to disable Power Saving in BIOS. Perhaps it's gone crazy.

Reply 5 of 7, by dudulinek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE: Replaced CPU to another P3 450 and everything seems work fine. No more FPS drops, lags ... Frequency is stable
tested with TNT2 32MB

https://youtu.be/gUdZaoIwGl4
Horun wrote on 2021-08-05, 01:35:
OK have a few thoughts after watching the off site video, which tells me no more than your description. What motherboard exactly […]
Show full quote

OK have a few thoughts after watching the off site video, which tells me no more than your description.
What motherboard exactly ? what else are you not telling us about your build ?
Can you post a few close up pictures of your build and at least tell us your motherboard make and model and a full list of all the parts ?
BTW: DOS 6.22 has a 64MB max, have you tried with 32MB ram ?

I dont know mate what MB i have. Is original Fujitsu SIemens Scenic 860 PIII450. CPUz show only BX440 chipset other fileds are blank. On motherboard no stickers, ... nothing for identify

Disruptor wrote on 2021-08-05, 06:44:

Try to disable Power Saving in BIOS. Perhaps it's gone crazy.

tried disable everything, also power saving. Nothing work.

bofh.fromhell wrote on 2021-08-05, 02:55:
Hi guys. I just finished Pentium 3 machine and there is something wrong i think. BX440 motherboard, P3 450MHz slot 1, 128MB RAM […]
Show full quote

Hi guys.

- MS DOS 6.22

I would start with checking all jumpers (or switch blocks).
Look for misplaced of missing ones.

Jumpers (dip switches on MB) are correct for 450Mhz. Replaced CPU and now it work fine

Reply 6 of 7, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If a replacement CPU helped, maybe there's a fault with the 1st CPU cartridge's L2 cache. To check that, try getting a picture of the Speedsys benchmark in DOS with both processors fitted. That'll show which caches are working and the general speed of both CPUs.
That's part of Phil's DosBench pack: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/dos-benchmark-pack.html

Reply 7 of 7, by dudulinek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i did some research again. i think i found where was problem. Tried again CPU 1 - result in speedsys is same like 2nd cpu. But ... There is 3pin fan connetor to MB. Again same problem with performance. Installed second CPU there is 2pin molex. Everything ok but fan is loud af. Switched fans and performance bad again also second CPU. So i think nothing is broken, both CPU are fine. Look at picture 😀

IMG-20210805-172826.jpg

here is speedsys result

IMG-20210805-153726.jpg