VOGONS

First post, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought an ATC-1425B 486 motherboard. It seems nice: PCI slots, EDO support, etc. The board was advertised a working with photographic evidence. It comes in the mail a few weeks ago. There's some surface corrosion on some of the metal parts and surfaces, including the simm clips, but nothing too bad it seems. Tonight I'm finally able to start messing with it. I find my correct CPU and voltage settings for the jumpers, install a known good Trident PCI VGA card and . . . .

1 Long Beep, 2 Short Beeps (AWARD Bios). Try another PCI slot. Same thing. Try the third PCI Slot. Same thing. I switch to a known good S3 Trio64 and then a known good TNT2 M64. Same thing, regardless of the slot I use.

Now I'm getting annoyed.

For some reason I decided to switch RAM around and try some different SIMMS. The simm clips are a little stiff due to the corrosion. I get the simms in. Now its one constant beep or no sound at all. I take a look at the SIMM slots. SIMM1 has bent pins.

$hit!

What should I do? At a minimum, I'm going to need to replace one or more simm slots, but my soldering skills and equipment are mediocre. But, even then, I'm not sure what to do about the video card issue. Striking out with all three cards in all three slots makes me think there's something wrong with the board, but I don't have an ISA VGA card to test the board with.

Reply 1 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you post a good picture of your board ? Do you have a Diagnostic card ?
According to this: https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/A-trend/ You should be able to get it to boot with 1 simm in any working socket. If you cab get back to the video error beeps (1 Long, 2 Short) then can try to figure out the video card issue.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 2, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can get some pictures of it up this weekend. That was my understanding that it could run with a single sim in any socket as well. SIMM sockets 3&4 look like they've never been used. I thought I tried them out, but maybe not.

I don't have a diagnostic card. I should probably buy one.

Is there a BIOS setting regarding ISA vs. PCI graphics such that the board was only looking for an ISA graphics card?

Also, I'm running the jumper settings for the "s-series" 486. I think I have an SX807 DX/2 66. Is 3.45 volts the correct setting for that processer?