VOGONS

First post, by sunmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks,

When not fiddling with the CPU, I indulge in MIDI.

There are quite a few FM Towns games (mostly DOS conversion) which only support serial midi.

I'm able to get them going, using the "host" connection of SC55-MKII and MU50, which is ok but sub-optimal, if you have a daisy-chain of MIDI systems, as it won't pass it through, you also have to switch them to PC mode, before turning them on, etc.

Ideally would use a serial MIDI adapter, like SX-M232 which alas I don't have...

As a fallback I tried to use some PC98 adapters (e.g. ComeOn Music MA01 and Prolinks PMI-001) and they don't work.

Q1: is the serial pin-out of PC98 different from FM-Towns, or I just got a bunch of lemons ?

I'm also trying to run "Cool", a FM Towns MIDI player with support for serial MIDI.

It's in ".exg" format, so requires TownsOS >= L31 with support for TownsShell. Tested with both L31 and L51.

I can launch it double-clicking on its icon, but this doesn't do much good, as need to pass parameters: -RSMIDI -TOHOST

I thought TownsShell was the command line mode, entered by double-clicking on the terminal icon, but if I do that, from there I can no longer start "cool.exg". It complains the file doesn't fit in memory. So it might not be the TownsShell after all.

Q2: how do we access TownsShell to start *.exg by command line ?

Thanks for your help!
-max