VOGONS

First post, by luennix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone have a copy of AMIBCP that can edit pre-1995 core AMIBIOSes? The earliest available version can only modify 07/15/95 core AMIBIOS.

Also, I wonder if there is any way to edit Intel forked AMIBIOS (found on 90s Intel motherboards) or PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 (the only available version of Phoenix BIOS Tool can't edit that and can only edit BIOSes from early-2000s at earliest) as well.

I've been searching the internet all over but I couldn't find any tools or methods to modify the said BIOS types. I doubt anyone here has a method/tool to modify them either, but I wanted to try my luck.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 15, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AmiBCP 2.42 is the oldest one I've got hold of at the moment, do you know which versions you need?

http://web.archive.org/web/20060501213944/htt … /AMIBCP2.42.zip

other files there, but many uncached...
http://web.archive.org/web/20060501213944/htt … i/amibcp-amimm/

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 15, by luennix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-11, 14:19:
AmiBCP 2.42 is the oldest one I've got hold of at the moment, do you know which versions you need? […]
Show full quote

AmiBCP 2.42 is the oldest one I've got hold of at the moment, do you know which versions you need?

http://web.archive.org/web/20060501213944/htt … /AMIBCP2.42.zip

other files there, but many uncached...
http://web.archive.org/web/20060501213944/htt … i/amibcp-amimm/

Thanks! I'll try this on a few old AMIBIOS ROMs I have using 86Box (a retro PC emulator). I unfortunately don't have real retro hardware to test but 86Box is accurate enough. I'll report back when I'm done with testing. Once again, thanks so much!

EDIT: A friend tested it for me and unfortunately it's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for old DOS based versions of AMIBCP, not Windows based ones. This is still a good addition to the AMIBCP versions I have, so still thank you so much.

Reply 4 of 15, by luennix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2021-08-11, 22:15:

Are you just trying to unhide options in bios setup or are there other changes?

Not just unhiding options, renaming the BIOS system names, (if possible) swapping setup utilities, all kinds or modifications you can imagine. Though any modification tool that can edit the said BIOSes will be good for me no matter how useful they are.

Reply 6 of 15, by luennix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ala_borbe wrote on 2021-08-12, 07:55:

i do not know which bios versions are supported but here is a quite a collection of tools.

https://www.bios-mods.com/downloads/

Thanks for the website but unfortunately that site doesn't have the tools I'm searching for. It's mostly modern stuff like AMI Aptio flashing tools. Still thanks for trying though.

Reply 8 of 15, by luennix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The versions of AMIBCP that I need are named below:

BCP14.EXE (for core BIOS 07/07/91) BCP20.EXE (for core BIOS 12/12/91) BCP21.EXE (for core BIOS 06/06/92) BCP21A.EXE (for core BI […]
Show full quote

BCP14.EXE (for core BIOS 07/07/91)
BCP20.EXE (for core BIOS 12/12/91)
BCP21.EXE (for core BIOS 06/06/92)
BCP21A.EXE (for core BIOS 11/11/92 and 08/08/93)
WBCP33.EXE (for core BIOS 12/15/93 (and 06/25/94?))
WBCP40.EXE (for core BIOS 06/25/94 and 07/25/94)
WBCP42.EXE (for core BIOS 07/25/94)
WBCP511.EXE (for core BIOS 10/10/94)

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm begging, but if anyone has any of these, please provide it to me. These versions are super rare and finding them would be great for the community.

Reply 9 of 15, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is a thread about older (pre-95 or so) versions of AMIBCP that gets bumped up once in a while. In short, many users here have been looking for those for a long time, but no one has been able to find those versions. Even if they were on the Internet at some point they are long gone now and if someone still has them they never made it public. I would also like to find them but at this point it seems they'll never pop up.

Reply 10 of 15, by luennix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheMobRules wrote on 2021-08-12, 18:41:

There is a thread about older (pre-95 or so) versions of AMIBCP that gets bumped up once in a while. In short, many users here have been looking for those for a long time, but no one has been able to find those versions. Even if they were on the Internet at some point they are long gone now and if someone still has them they never made it public. I would also like to find them but at this point it seems they'll never pop up.

I doubt that too, but I decided to try my luck anyway. I know those versions are super rare. I hope someone still has them or at least some of them.

Reply 11 of 15, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just found 2 versions of Phoenix Technologies BIOS Editor on my hard disk archives, which I guess are worth of archiving. I'll post them here, since thread's title says "old BIOS modding tools", without an specific brand, unlike the AMIBIOS tools thread.

*Phoenix.BIOSEditor.v2.0.18E was a "demo" version available at time on Phoenix own site. Is old and as far as I remember, it can't "recompile" the BIOS module files back into a ROM image from the GUI/IDE... But since the GUI actually can edit the modules themselves, which are stored in a temporal directory in a prepared form, along with the script to generate the ROM image and all the necessary tools to make it (PREPARE.exe and CATENATE.exe mainly), is actually possible to do the build "step", and generate a completely functional ROM image outside the IDE to overcome the "demo" limitation. This version can open some old core v.6.0 ROMs which can't be opened with the newer versions of the Editor.

*Phoenix.BIOSEditor.v.2.2.0.1 is a fully functional version of the application, which was available short time at Intel public FTP site... Along a sort of Phoenix BIOS OEM Adaptation Kit (with the actual object code bios functions library to generate newer ROM projects), which unfortunately was lost in the sands of time. Since is the full application, you can generate back the ROM image from the edited modules all on GUI... But unfortunately this version can't open or properly recompile some old rom images, which v2.0.18E has no problems with.

Them are too big to be posted in forum, so I uploaded the files to MEGA. I hope this can be useful to someone.

Reply 12 of 15, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Except for 808x and 80286, I am not that familiar with the Phoenix BIOS. Can v2.0.18E edit 486 BIOSes?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 13 of 15, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Phoenix seemed to be a bit of an OEM favorite, when they weren't doing things like ZBIOS, or let's be special and put setup on disk.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 14 of 15, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-09-13, 14:01:

Except for 808x and 80286, I am not that familiar with the Phoenix BIOS. Can v2.0.18E edit 486 BIOSes?

Unfortunately no. This is only for v.6.x+ Cores (Pentium II and onwards). 486 Phoenix ROMs are based in the so called "Phoenix ROMBIOS Plus" codebase (which also was used (in an highly customized and updated form) very late in 2000+ by some IHVs like Dell, and we aren't sure if these even have PREPARE/CATENATE binary modding tools... Or them actually are recompiled for changes directly from object code like Compaq BIOSes.

But at least there is a hope. Phoenix BIOS editor tools have clues about the compression methods used by them in their BIOS modules. LZINT (Intel licensed ??), LZHUF and LZARI by default. LZINT also seems used on AMIBIOS based Intel BIOSes like the ones found in Batman boards... But that wouldn't apply to DELL BIOSes, which would compress using LZSS instead. It may be possible to at least find a way to decompress Phoenix ROM BIOS Plus images with this info.

PD. Just for the record (so I can remember later), Phoenix ROMBIOS Plus modules seem to be encoded with RLE and then compressed with LZSS. Btw, they weren't the only ISV who used this mix to compress their roms. Looks like names as Nintendo were using the same mix to compress theirs. Also, seems like LZSS method was also supported on Phoenix v4.0 core to some extent too, but then was early dropped, as I can't find references on being supported in any of the BIOS Editor builtin tools.

Reply 15 of 15, by luennix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hyoenmadan wrote on 2021-09-13, 14:30:
Unfortunately no. This is only for v.6.x+ Cores (Pentium II and onwards). 486 Phoenix ROMs are based in the so called "Phoenix R […]
Show full quote
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-09-13, 14:01:

Unfortunately no. This is only for v.6.x+ Cores (Pentium II and onwards). 486 Phoenix ROMs are based in the so called "Phoenix ROMBIOS Plus" codebase (which also was used (in an highly customized and updated form) very late in 2000+ by some IHVs like Dell, and we aren't sure if these even have PREPARE/CATENATE binary modding tools... Or them actually are recompiled for changes directly from object code like Compaq BIOSes.

But at least there is a hope. Phoenix BIOS editor tools have clues about the compression methods used by them in their BIOS modules. LZINT (Intel licensed ??), LZHUF and LZARI by default. LZINT also seems used on AMIBIOS based Intel BIOSes like the ones found in Batman boards... But that wouldn't apply to DELL BIOSes, which would compress using LZSS instead. It may be possible to at least find a way to decompress Phoenix ROM BIOS Plus images with this info.

PD. Just for the record (so I can remember later), Phoenix ROMBIOS Plus modules seem to be encoded with RLE and then compressed with LZSS. Btw, they weren't the only ISV who used this mix to compress their roms. Looks like names as Nintendo were using the same mix to compress theirs. Also, seems like LZSS method was also supported on Phoenix v4.0 core to some extent too, but then was early dropped, as I can't find references on being supported in any of the BIOS Editor builtin tools.

Thank you so much for the files and the information you shared! Sorry for replying late.