VOGONS

First post, by ioncannon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

This is my first computer that I have held onto for decades. It was originally a 386-SX board that got replace with a socket7 board by PC Partner. I was wondering if anyone knew the case manufacturer? I did find someone that had a newer version of the case in this post, with the triple digit MHZ display. Here is the case:

PXL_20210807_020625201.jpg
Filename
PXL_20210807_020625201.jpg
File size
953.71 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Also, back in my high-school years (2000s) I had fried the motherboard by shoving a AMD K-6 into the socket (I was dumb and burnt my fingers in the process). Some years ago I found the exact motherboard but it's having issues with saving the CMOS data between power downs. Battery was replaced and the jumper for clearing cmos isn't set. IIRC the errors it gives is invalid data and wrong data size. Once I re-save the bios it persists through resets until the next power down. The motherboard is a MB520N.

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 2, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome to the forum!😃
I can't help you with the case and even with the CMOS problem I can only take a guess: is there possibly a contact issue in the battery holder? It is also possible there's a diode (that prevents the battery from being charged while the CMOS is powered by the mainboard) that failed so the battery doesn't power the CMOS.

If you could post a screenshot of your issue it might help too.

Reply 2 of 2, by ioncannon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-08-12, 14:38:

Welcome to the forum!😃
I can't help you with the case and even with the CMOS problem I can only take a guess: is there possibly a contact issue in the battery holder? It is also possible there's a diode (that prevents the battery from being charged while the CMOS is powered by the mainboard) that failed so the battery doesn't power the CMOS.

If you could post a screenshot of your issue it might help too.

Thanks! I've actually lurked since the 2000's but surprisingly never made an account. Anyways, I am sure there is battery contact as removing the battery basically causes the bios to clear on reset as well. Hm, will get my probe out and start poking around the diodes to see if power is making it's way to the RTC.

I'll post pictures after work.