VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Socket 7 motherboard pulled from some unknown Compaq desktop. The pins on the motherboard are exceptionally bare by the absence of not only a reset switch but also any connection for a PC speaker!

There is an unpopulated ribbon connector which is for something called the "Creativity Activity Center" which I thought might contain a daughter board with a buzzer but grounding a speaker and poking each pin individually did not provide any beeps while Doom ran in the background.

I also tried connecting a speaker to the integrated audio output but there were no beeps there either.

Can anyone confirm whether or not these old Compaq motherboards have no way to connect a speaker/buzzer?

IMG_20210811_213303.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210811_213303.jpg
File size
1.98 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20210811_213330.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210811_213330.jpg
File size
94.75 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20210811_213350.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210811_213350.jpg
File size
175.37 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 7, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the mobo or system model no. pray tell? You haven't given us much info to go on.....

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wasn't someone saying the other day that the speaker works ass backwards, it goes to 5V and the signal is more groundy... though that makes you worry more about probing than doing it with ground... try a low voltage maybe? Or through 1K resistor? Would still come through faint I would think.

Typically of this type of model what I would expect is the speaker built into the front panel board.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 7, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-08-12, 01:50:

What is the mobo or system model no. pray tell? You haven't given us much info to go on.....

I don't know the system model and the motherboard is an OEM design. I only know that it's a Compaq because of the splash screen at boot up. I googled around to figure out what the mystery ribbon connector was.

Reply 4 of 7, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-08-12, 03:45:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-08-12, 01:50:

I don't know the system model and the motherboard is an OEM design. I only know that it's a Compaq because of the splash screen at boot up. I googled around to figure out what the mystery ribbon connector was.

The mobo should have Compaq part number it...

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 5 of 7, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's a SiS 5595/530 chipset, it could be a Presario 5340. Then the connector (J5?) for the CAC should occupy this - game port and 2xUSB front bracket. You can find more info here: https://www.elhvb.com/ctechinfo/msgs/5300.pdf

Attachments

• cac.jpg
    Filename
    cac.jpg
    File size
    176.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 7, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any chance of a decent picture of the motherboard with nothing connected to it? It looks like that front panel just has a couple of USB ports and a gameport, so probably no speaker signal. I had a look at a service manual for the Compaq Presario 5000(ish) and that has a troubleshooting section including a fault of hearing no beep on POST, for which it says that an external speaker must be connected and the volume turned up. I take that to mean that Compaq routed the PC Speaker signal through the onboard audio, so you'd need to have amp + speakers connected to the line out and check if there's a software mixer setting for a speaker input.

And yes, as I understand it, the PC Speaker works by having one side of the speaker at +5V, then the other side is either floating or pulled to ground. Whenever there's a change it causes the speaker cone to produce a click, and when done repeatedly and fast enough we hear a note. Don't know why it was designed that way, but I'd guess it allows for higher currents.

Looks like Compaq also optimistically did away with a reset switch on the front panel. Obviously nothing was ever going to crash.

Reply 7 of 7, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

According to that PDF:

An external speaker must be installed into the speaker output connector to hear audible beeps during POST.

I tried this thinking the same thing. Let me try again with the volume cranked all the way up.

Definitely no beeps. I have the I/O bracket so I know that I connected the speaker to the right socket.

Very odd.