VOGONS

What are Tough American Strong components ?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 66, by zago27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah yes, companies like Olivetti, Siemens-Nixdorf (and later Fujitsu-Siemens) and Schneider very clearly couldn't make robust machines...
And just as a reminder, modern computers use both Imperial and metric screws and threads. Not to mention that the modern definitions of all Imperial units are based off metric standards.

I'm genuinely impressed by how one can be so stubborn and clearly ignorant while trying to be "patriotic". It's almost pathetic and I'm ashamed of myself for spending time typing down this thought out reply.

Your friendly neighborhood hardware database and blog, The Retro Web

Reply 21 of 66, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-08-15, 02:36:

I am disappointed with the YouTube Retro computer community for building computers
That will not last. Built with cheap and sometimes proprietary components.
And expecting people to game on them.

How about you start your own YouTube channel and show us how it's supposed to be done?

Americans are larger than smaller europeans.

Yes, water is wet and the desert is made of sand. This sentence is both stupid and an insult to everyone here.

Americans need a strong tough computer that can withstand a pounding
Of the switches, buttons, keyboard keys and can take a kick or two.

What are you going to do, take your desktop with you on the battlefield and throw it around like a wrecking ball? Or do they have to withstand a beating because they always break and leave you in frustration?

As for me, I prefer using whatever I can get my hands on, usually cheap PCChips/LuckyTech boards with razor sharp thin cases. They do the same thing as a "tough" computer, more or less.

Reply 22 of 66, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well this seems like an utter useless thread again...
This is beyond words.

Last edited by Murugan on 2021-08-15, 12:01. Edited 1 time in total.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 24 of 66, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zago27 wrote on 2021-08-15, 10:58:

Ah yes, companies like Olivetti, Siemens-Nixdorf (and later Fujitsu-Siemens) and Schneider very clearly couldn't make robust machines...

ignore the OP, they've always been like this x3

the tankiest machine I own is probably a Triumph Adler Alphatronic P50

Reply 25 of 66, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
LewisRaz wrote on 2021-08-15, 11:57:

How has OP not been banned yet?

Can you imagine the fanmail the admin would get? Can understand not having time for that. This isn't malice, just ignorance and obliviousness to that ignorance. Unfortunately a prime example of the clichéd kind of American giving Americans a bad name abroad.

Oh well, I'm stuck in a traffic jam on the main dyke in the Netherlands giving Amsterdam flood protection like New Orleans doesn't, on my way to Frisia, the region with the tallest people in the country with the tallest people in the world. But I'm sure the have smaller hands than the Americans or something of equal import....

Reply 26 of 66, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am just pointing out that these computer companies that are building gaming computers today actually aren’t
A gaming computer needs to be built to be able to take abuse and some pounding.
Americans like to pride themselves and building products that last and can take abuse.
These modern gaming computers need to be built of better quality materials with tougher tolerances.
Not cheap plastics.

And they need to be Repairable.
They are to be expected to break from abuse so they should be made easy to repair.
There is too much electronic garbage that is not being recycled.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2021-08-15, 12:33. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 30 of 66, by zago27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because it's well known that the rest of the world hates with passion having a piece of equipment that's durable and well built...

I should seriously stop wasting my time in this thread.

Your friendly neighborhood hardware database and blog, The Retro Web

Reply 31 of 66, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-08-15, 12:36:

Americans don’t want Cheap Dollar store stuff that breaks after one use.
Americans want high quality well engineered and thought out products that lasts.

Lol. Now that is funny. I frequent one quite a bit to get cables tie. Absolutely nothing wrong with them......

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 32 of 66, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meowdori wrote on 2021-08-15, 10:51:

The blind generalisation about people's size in the opening post is honestly one of the dumbest things I've read recently.

And since when being big or not is supposed to justify mistreating your hardware?

You want to go back 6 month and have a look ......😉

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 33 of 66, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Americans want high quality well engineered and thought out products that lasts.

While this is true, it is not just Americans.

Problem with that is that the general public wants everything to cost less. This leads to companies producing products that they can sell cheaper and this must be made cheaper.

The market caters to the lowest common denominator, which sadly is the people that don't understand that it would be much better for them to buy quality products than to buy new crappy products all the time because those crappy products keep breaking.

As a person who was in IT, you should already have a great understanding of this.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 34 of 66, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, they want the cheapest thing they can get that still functions. And when it fails after one or two uses, take it back to Best Buy or Walmart for a refund/replacement. Don't kid yourself.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 35 of 66, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This IBM open architecture has been proven and withstood the test of time, abuse and regression testing.
It has been proven to be very successful.
And conforms with the “Right to Repair” standards.

If you use good quality components in your computer they endure and make for a good computer
That can take a little abuse.

I think choosing the right computer case from the beginning is a good starting point to building a really good
Computer that conforms with the “Right to Repair” standards.
And it should allow for expand
ability, be secure, easy to upgrade and repair.

Reply 36 of 66, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dear OP,

May I recommend the Panasonic Toughbook? They tested it with a chimp. 🐵 If it can survive that abuse, it can handle whatever you (literally) throw at it, even if you throw your (American) weight behind it.

Panasonic isn't American, though.

Reply 38 of 66, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣

I'm not sure how I feel about this thread and it has been reported by another member. It has a Milliways vibe but maybe some interesting old brand discussion can happen? Keep it civil or it gets locked.

Reply 39 of 66, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-08-15, 16:30:

was the chimp american though?

Good question. 🤔

As unveiled in the Behind the Scenes video, there were apparently two chimps, by the way.

Of course I felt compelled to research this a bit, but the monkey-proof.com site at the time used Adobe Flash, and therefore the Wayback Machine wasn't able to archive it properly. Bah. Another piece of internet history lost due to proprietary closed-source technology. 😕

Okay, enough digression on my part. Back to the bigot-bashing. 👍

Last edited by digger on 2021-08-15, 16:47. Edited 1 time in total.