VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi all

What is recommended to grease the sliding rails of the head of a floppy drive?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 12, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robin4 wrote on 2021-08-19, 22:45:

Hi all

What is recommended to grease the sliding rails of the head of a floppy drive?

Lithium grease should work fine. Do not apply too much, though.

Reply 3 of 12, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-08-20, 14:04:

Silicone lubricant

QFT.

Make sure it's low viscosity though, ordinary dielectric grease is too thick. You can thin out silicone grease by diluting it with 30 weight silicone oil. Keep adding it and stirring until you're satisfied with the consistency. Also, don't use silicone grease with PTFE in it.

I've resurrected two Panasonic 5.25" drives already with this method (JU-455 and JU-475).

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 6 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use white light weight lithium grease applied with a tooth pick to rails, worm gears, etc. Also: I use a cotton swab with IPA to loosen/clean up the old grease before applying new.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 12, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote on 2021-08-20, 22:39:
tri flow is also good? […]
Show full quote

tri flow is also good?

437x1200.jpg

No. Just buy a tube of Permatex dielectric grease for 10 bucks and use that.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 9 of 12, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any good lubricant will do.
PTFE, silicone, lithium grease, sewing machine oil...

Just don't use stuff it's not intended for long lasting "drying" stuff like 10w30 gearbox oil. Don't even think of using the infamous WD40, which will actually attract humid after a few months (as it degrades). Even butter would do better.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 11 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IF butter was your only possible source of grease, you'd want to use clarified butter, i.e. the pure fat without the protein and water etc in it... though I think I'd go for the vaseline in the bathroom cabinet first.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 12 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NO ! Agree with most everything waterbeesje said. BUT not butter !
Yes Vasoline aka Petroleum Jelly yes but not butter, ever. Butter no matter what will turn rancid very quickly making a worse mess than first started...
You guys are silly talking butter 😁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun