VOGONS

Varta's out. Now what?

Topic actions

First post, by Badscrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So what is the consensus on the replacement of the rechargeable 3.6V Vartas?

I miss the times when my BIOS could remember things 😁

Reply 3 of 24, by Kotu Koylu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Badscrew wrote on 2021-08-22, 12:52:

CR2032 is lower voltage and isn't a rechargeable - isn't there a risk damaging the battery?

External battery pins does not charge CR2032.but u r right some mobos doesnt like cr2032 so forget cmos settings.
You need 3.7 rechargeable lion batterry

Reply 4 of 24, by Badscrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How about using a pack of three low capacity Ni-MH AAA rechargeables? Will this work as an easy drop-in?

My MB doesn't have any dedicated "external battery" pins, only the ones where the Varta was soldered on.

Reply 9 of 24, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can still buy some NiMH 3,6V rechargeable battery, compatible with old NiCd 3,6V, if You don´t have external abttery pins on Your mobo https://uk.farnell.com/c/batteries-chargers/b … ry-voltage=3.6v
Of course, You can use pack of 3x1,2V in serial connection.

Last edited by Ydee on 2021-08-22, 16:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 24, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Badscrew wrote on 2021-08-22, 14:17:

LIR2032 is a drop in rechargeable replacement for a CR2032 but not for the 3.6V Varta ? 😁

Sorry, yes I meant a physical size replacement for a CR2032. So a CR2032 holder plus an LIR2032 would be a good varta replacement.

Reply 11 of 24, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The fact LIR2032 use lithium ion compared to NiCD for original batteries isn't problematic ? I thought lithium needed more precautions to be charged.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 12 of 24, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Li-(Ion, Pol) batteries have different charging characteristics, so they can't simply be plugged into an existing circuit. NiMHs aren't the exact replacement for NiCd batteries either, but from rechargeable ones the closest.
Can also be used non-rechargeable, but with a protective diode, blocking recharging from the mobo. The 3V voltage of CR2032 is not a problem for most plates, the BIOS settings reliably hold.

Reply 13 of 24, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was warned against using NiMH rechargeables when I last looked this up in the following thread:

jaqie wrote on 2012-02-19, 15:16:

NiMH would be very dangerous to do that with - they are tempermental on how they are charged. not nearly as bad as lithium types though! NiCD would be perfect but remember they can leak like the originals, too.

Barrel style CMOS battery question

I ended up using the 3x alkalines with a 1N4002 diode in series suggestion - works a treat if a bit bulky with the 3 AAA holder.

This was for a direct replacement of the leaky Varta - if you have an external battery header you’ve got more options. Another idea I liked was to disable the charging circuit directly on the board (by removing resistors etc) and just fitting a CR2032 battery holder but obviously you have to know what you’re doing there.

- P-MMX 200MHZ, PCChips M598LMR, Voodoo
- P-MMX 233MHz, FIC PA2013, S3 ViRGE + Voodoo
- PII 400MHz, MSI MS6119, ATI Rage Pro Turbo + Voodoo2 SLI
- PIII 1400MHz, ECS P6IPAT, Voodoo5 5500
- Toshiba Libretto 110CT, 300MHz, 96MB RAM

Reply 15 of 24, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Badscrew wrote on 2021-08-22, 18:46:

Leaning towards 3 AAA in a holder and a diode myself. Cheap and effective, easy maintenance.

Use rechargeable AAAs instead. No diode required then.....

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 17 of 24, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Badscrew wrote on 2021-08-22, 18:46:

Leaning towards 3 AAA in a holder and a diode myself. Cheap and effective, easy maintenance.

I support this

Are you sure you don't have an external battery header to plug it into though? Can dispense with the diode if you do

Reply 18 of 24, by Badscrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It doesn't seam to - and it's also a weird off-brand 486 MB I can't find the docs to.
I have like dozens of diodes anyway, so not a big deal 😀

Also, using a diode with 3 alkalines will drop the voltage from 4.5 to about 3.8- 3.9V that will be closer to 3.6. Not that BIOS should care anyways but at least better on paper.

Reply 19 of 24, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Badscrew wrote on 2021-08-23, 14:36:

It doesn't seam to - and it's also a weird off-brand 486 MB I can't find the docs to.
I have like dozens of diodes anyway, so not a big deal 😀

Also, using a diode with 3 alkalines will drop the voltage from 4.5 to about 3.8- 3.9V that will be closer to 3.6. Not that BIOS should care anyways but at least better on paper.

The RTC chips have a very wide range of acceptable standby voltage input, anything from 3-5V should be perfectly fine