VOGONS

First post, by Jackal1983

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so I have this damn near mint 386 mobo (supposedly was used in token ring routers) with the aforementioned chipset. It boots with both a 386 DX-33 and a AM386DX-40 (after a crystal swap) after I had the bios chip reflashed with the C&T reference bios. However I cannot get it to boot with 2 separate TI 486DLC-40s. Both get slightly warm to the touch (unlike the other 2) and throw error "0206" which is supposed to mean "CPU Register Check Failed". Initially I thought it was a power related issue (lot of tiny electrolytics on the board) so I recapped most of the board (except the caps on the expansion bus) and the PSU I was using (145 watt Delta AT PSU, just the electrolytics, I couldn't get the value of the one film cap on the PSU and I don't know enough about the ceramic disk caps or the blue tantalums) but no dice. Tried it without the mobo cache, no dice. Doesn't even POST. Anyone ever heard of any boards from circa 1992 that flat out refuse to boot that CPU? All I had in it was the post card and a VGA card. I think I might have even tried it with just the post card so I doubt it's expansion card incompatibility. I suppose I could have gotten 2 bad chips, but that would be monumentally crappy luck.

Reply 1 of 3, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an Abit/Silicon Star FU3 80386 board based on the same PEAK/DM chipset. This board actually works quite well with the DLC even though it doesn't officially support it. I am pretty sure Biostar also makes a similar board with PEAK/DM that works with DLC, so I think it is not a chipset issue.

I only have one 386 board that doesn't POST with the DLC installed. It's an older 1990 model CTI386 with a rev A SiS Rabbit chipset and no 4MB SIMM support. I always assumed it must be a BIOS incompatibility, but perhaps not. I suggest having a look at the 486SLC/DLC databook and checking for NC pins and pins that require pull up resistors. Perhaps something is either missing, or an NC pin is connected to something it shouldn't be.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 3, by Jackal1983

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-08-23, 07:33:

I have an Abit/Silicon Star FU3 80386 board based on the same PEAK/DM chipset. This board actually works quite well with the DLC even though it doesn't officially support it. I am pretty sure Biostar also makes a similar board with PEAK/DM that works with DLC, so I think it is not a chipset issue.

I only have one 386 board that doesn't POST with the DLC installed. It's an older 1990 model CTI386 with a rev A SiS Rabbit chipset and no 4MB SIMM support. I always assumed it must be a BIOS incompatibility, but perhaps not. I suggest having a look at the 486SLC/DLC databook and checking for NC pins and pins that require pull up resistors. Perhaps something is either missing, or an NC pin is connected to something it shouldn't be.

Interesting. Can you point me towards the 486dlc databook?
Edit: NM, found it - http://www.bitsavers.org/components/cyrix/Cyr … Sheet_May92.pdf

Reply 3 of 3, by Jackal1983

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-08-23, 07:33:

Ok, so I checked E14 (ADS#) and C10 (LOCK#) which are the 2 pins that the databook recommends an external 20K pullup resistor connecting to Vcc. With both I got a value of about 15K, however my multimeter slowly marched up to that value, so I suspect I'm picking up other things on the board connecting to that rail acting as capacitors. I went ahead and ordered some .25 watt 20K carbon film resistors (less than 5 bucks for 5 so it's not like I'm out any real cash). I also checked all of the NC pins mentioned in intel's datasheet and they all seem to be unconnected (as they should be) as well as the one NC pin I could find mentioned in the Cyrix databook. I'll also recheck all of my solder connections (took a bit of work to get everything just right on this board) just as a sanity check. Rubycon YXF and Nichicon PW should be of more than adequate quality. I'll update once I have the resistors installed.