VOGONS

First post, by DerKammi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After lurking a good while here I'm finally stuck at a CPU Soft Menu of my Abit BH6 V1.2.

Bit of history of the board. I bought it dead, won't POST. Recapped the board with some new Panasonics and just in case bought a freshly flashed BIOS with the latest BIOS.
Still didn't POST so I started poking around the board with a probe and found some cold solder joints on the PLL chip. After some soldering the board was revived and booted al the way to the no-OS point.

So all in all pretty happy. Installed my IDE2SD device and a VMWare loaded SD with Win98SE installed. Booted fine 😁 Very Happy.

Then my issue. I bought kind of a gamble with a PIII 533 Coppermine with the 133 FSB. So it ran fine but at 266MHz 🙁 So 66FSB.
Back to the BIOS and changed the CPU settings in the CPU Soft menu. But no setting is changing my clock speed at all. Tried a couple off FSB settings 83, 100, 103 at 1/3 PCI and 126, 133 at 1/4 PCI. All with 2/3 AGP divider.

So the CPU is stuck at 266 whatever I set the BIOS at. Attached is a photo of a message I get at boot when I change something.

I don't have an other CPU to test some more. Hope someone has some tips

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to the Abit archive page the BIOS does not support any 133Mhz bus P3. http://web.archive.org/web/20001008134607/htt … ad/bios-bh6.htm
Every CPU listed in the BIOS updates is either a 66Mhz or 100Mhz. Yes You can over clock the 100Mhz P3's up to 133Mhz if they will stable..
which board rev do you have ? 1.0 or 1.1 ?
Did you try setting of SEL100/66# signal to "LOW", it can be controlled within the SoftMenuTM II setup. Then try 100Mhz again. It probably will not work but worth a try...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by DerKammi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is a 1.2 which makes a 1.1 spec wise.

I did play with the SEL100/66# setting and did not make a difference. It is overridden with the multplier lock as I understand the manual.

I'm afraid despite the 133 possibility OCed a 100FSB cpu is not working for my native 133FSB cpu.

Reply 3 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"BSEL mod" is the thing to search for to hardwire the bus frequency on the CPU or socket if you wanna go that route.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 4, by DerKammi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-29, 16:26:

"BSEL mod" is the thing to search for to hardwire the bus frequency on the CPU or socket if you wanna go that route.

You mean like this:
Re: Intel-built 486/Pentium/PPro/PII motherboard guide