Ultimate Dual Pentium II@333mhz

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 72, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cosmic wrote on 2021-09-01, 15:26:

This is really cool, I love all the photos. How are you going to arrange the SCSI disks? Two separate disks or in a RAID?

Not sure yet. It only supports raid levels 0 and 1.
I have to find some more scsi disks too.

Attachments

Reply 21 of 72, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone know where I can find the software to change the boot screen logo ?

Attachments

Reply 22 of 72, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-08-31, 00:19:

Yeah, its a unique back I/O plate.
I will have to make one.

As for drives I want to be with-in the time period. So NO 10k rpm or 15k rpm drives.

Looks like the same as the Intel MS440GX motherboard* with the Parallel/serial and USB bunched up closer to the Keyboard port. Also the odd Sound output. I found a backplate from a Supermicro X7-somthing that had the same configuration. Tried to search for it to find the exact model, but cant find it now.

Coincidentally just been reading this article https://www.os2museum.com/wp/percussive-maintenance/ . Looks like the 10K came out it 1997! So if you want you can use them and still be period correct.

*10 years on, and i am STILL looking for the CPU retention mechanism for this board.

Edit: just had a look, think it is the X7DAE backplate.

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 23 of 72, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-09-01, 20:09:

Well it says the software was available from Intel. Have you even bothered to look? Or look at the post linked to earlier by Horun?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 24 of 72, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it me or is theat two threads on basicly the same topic need to be merged. This one and Topic 83266

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 25 of 72, by astigmatism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-09-01, 13:52:

I am waiting for a new PSU to arrive so I can continue this build.

Regarding that, I see in the photos that the board has a standard 20-pin ATX power connector but also the 6-pin AUX power connector. Is the AUX connector required? Did you have to source a power supply with a unique wiring harness and/or power delivery?

I have an Intel C440GX+ Dual Xeon Slot 2 motherboard with the same connectors but have yet to POST it up because of this.

Reply 26 of 72, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-09-01, 20:09:

You've already got it as part of the P10 BIOS update linked above by @Horun - this is a function of the iflash app included in the update. What you actually need is something to create a compatible logo file (default name is normally LOGODATA.USR) that iflash can insert into the BIOS 4K / 8K user area. Think the attached compressed file is likely what you'd need.

Filename
LOGO_UTL.EXE
File size
185.84 KiB
Downloads
54 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 28 of 72, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
astigmatism wrote on 2021-09-01, 20:36:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-09-01, 13:52:

I am waiting for a new PSU to arrive so I can continue this build.

Regarding that, I see in the photos that the board has a standard 20-pin ATX power connector but also the 6-pin AUX power connector. Is the AUX connector required? Did you have to source a power supply with a unique wiring harness and/or power delivery?

I have an Intel C440GX+ Dual Xeon Slot 2 motherboard with the same connectors but have yet to POST it up because of this.

I don’t know. The used case I am using had a power supply in it but it does not look to heathy and it lacks the AUX connector too.
So I have a new PSU coming with AUX connector.

The Intel website read that one reason the motherboard will not post could be the power supply.
Low wattage. I don’t remember exactly how I hooked this motherboard up in the past.
But this case needs a new PSU anyways so no loss in that.

Attachments

Reply 29 of 72, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here some info:

Attachments

Reply 30 of 72, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-09-01, 02:50:
Not sure it would impact the current problem, but is this an OEM board, rather than Intel retail? - the altered assembly number […]
Show full quote

Not sure it would impact the current problem, but is this an OEM board, rather than Intel retail? - the altered assembly number (685012-509) doesn't appear in the last cumulative spec update for the board which might suggest OEM. What it does indicate is that all the xxxxxx-509 series boards are early production versions which likely shipped with matching BIOS versions - possibly around P03 (you'll need at least P08 for PII 333MHz support).

Jumper J7E1 set to pins 2-3 should force the system to the setup menu where you can set the actual installed processor speed (if the damn thing would only start!). Although it supportred 233, 266, 300MHz from the get-go, it might have issues with specific steppings of those speeds if you're on an early BIOS revision (see the attached BIOS history).

The way I read the manual, the auxilliary power connector is optional by default, but recommended for heavy load setups

"NOTE

Some heavily loaded configurations could require additional +3.3 V and +5 V power for peripherals. Use the auxiliary power connector at J1M2 for this purpose."

Other than that, the only defaults seem to be the main processor is always in the rear slot 1 position, with a terminator board in the secondary slot 1 position if not in dual processor mode and that memory can be 3.3V unbuffered 66-MHz ECC/non-ECC SDRAM or 60-ns EDO ECC/non-ECC DIMMs (100MHz DIMM support added in BIOS P10) with a max of 128MB SDRAM or 256MB EDO per memory slot.

REL_NOTE.DOC

Where is Jumper J7E1 ?

Does this PSU meet the requirements ?

Attachments

Reply 32 of 72, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I have another PSU coming so hopefully that will work. This current PSU barely meets requirements
And it is very old and weathered so I don’t trust it.

Reply 33 of 72, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since you're pulling your VX apart try the RAM that worked in that in this.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 34 of 72, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-09-02, 01:10:

Where is Jumper J7E1 ?

Yes it should.
Directly behind the AGP slot as it shows on page 55 Of ProdSpec and page 27 of the ProdGuide. Since you like pictures, here are a few ;p

Separate note: maybe you should read thru this stuff too: http://web.archive.org/web/19990202072848/htt … esktop/dk440lx/
Maybe the info will help but you cannot DL files off the old archives unless you are really talented 😀

Attachments

• Image7.jpg
    Filename
    Image7.jpg
    File size
    117.42 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Image5.jpg
    Filename
    Image5.jpg
    File size
    132.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 35 of 72, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2021-09-02, 02:24:
Yes it should. Directly behind the AGP slot as it shows on page 55 Of ProdSpec and page 27 of the ProdGuide. Since you like pict […]
Show full quote
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-09-02, 01:10:

Where is Jumper J7E1 ?

Yes it should.
Directly behind the AGP slot as it shows on page 55 Of ProdSpec and page 27 of the ProdGuide. Since you like pictures, here are a few ;p

Separate note: maybe you should read thru this stuff too: http://web.archive.org/web/19990202072848/htt … esktop/dk440lx/
Maybe the info will help but you cannot DL files off the old archives unless you are really talented 😀

Yes, I tried that. The motherboard will not start. Nothing. No beeps or error codes. No posts.
I plugged in a diagnostic card and the motherboard reports nothing. The motherboard is getting power and the drives work.
Next step is to try a new power supply.

Reply 36 of 72, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am still working on my DK440LX with Dual Pentium II @ 333mhz.
But I also have a Voodoo-3 AGP card that I fixed a while back.

I purchased two of these a few years back. Non working with artifacts.
It turn out I just had to reflow the RAM chip solder joints and they work fine now.

Should I use one in this Build ?

I want to use Win-NT 4.0 but I can use Win-2K Also.

What do you suggest ?

I am NOT sure what speed the AGP on the motherboard is.
It is using the Intel 440LX chipset.

RAM is 256mb of PC-133 SDRM
512kb motherboard cache
Hard-drive is IDE or SCSI 10k.
Motherboard is a 1997 design.
Plug and Play support.

Attachments

Reply 37 of 72, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-02, 02:22:

Since you're pulling your VX apart try the RAM that worked in that in this.

I was unable to get the SDRAM to work in the 430vx motherboard thats why I am going to swap it out.
But I don’t this the 440lx motherboard problem is RAM.
Let me try another PSU and see what happens.

Reply 39 of 72, by astigmatism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Love that box... future VOGONs user there. At least I'll confess to also examining my system board on the same machine it runs on.

Attachments