VOGONS

Post sticking on "FF 2A"

Topic actions

First post, by thevdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I picked up a cheap Socket 3 M918i (I'm fairly sure it's an M918i) motherboard that was listed as being for parts. The board it'self looks to be in fairly good condition although has a slight curve to it.

With a post card inserted it stops on "FF 2A" 9 times out of 10 with nothing on the screen, the other 1 time out of 10, it posts to the very nostalgic 1993 AMI GUI BIOS. For the AMI BIOS that the board uses the codes are as follow:

FF

Flash ROM programming was successful. Next, restarting the system BIOS

2A

Initializing the different bus system, static, and output devices, if present

When using a 4 digit POST card, is it the first 2 digits that were the last code or the last 2 digits?

So far I have replaced the dead CMOS battery (CR2032 thankfully) and reseated the BIOS chip (assuming it may be stalling on FF).
I've reseated the graphics card/tried different PCI slots, reseated the CPU and RAM (assuming it may be stalling on 2A).
Jumper settings have been set appropriately for the SX2-50 I am using for testing as per the download here - https://www.elhvb.com/webhq/models/486pci/m918i.htm

Knowing that the board has a slight curve to it may imply that there is a cracked trace or solder joint. Given the error above for "2A" where would be best to start checking for a crached trace/solder joint?

Any thoughts on where to start will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

Gaming rig: Dell Dimension XPS T500 - PIII 500 - 288MB RAM - Voodoo3 3000 - SoundBlaster Live! Value - DVD-ROM - CD-RW - 3.5" 1.44 - 98SE & 2000 dual boot
A nostalgic pile of laptops from the late 80's to late 90s.

Reply 2 of 2, by thevdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Cyclone3d,

Thank you for the suggestions, I reseated the cache chips after making the original post (sudden thought), unfortunately this made no difference. I'll pull some known working cache chips from the loft this weekend as I don't know any history for the currently installed ones.

I tried booting without the graphics card installed and the board consistently gets past "FF 2A" with the usual 1 long 8 short beeps. It could be a case that the board doesn't like the ATI Mach64 (known working card).

Excuse the mess around the pictures, the "server"/electric cupboard was convenient with power, tools and a VGA monitor at hand

mobo-top.jpg
mobo-post.jpg
mobo-curve.jpg

Gaming rig: Dell Dimension XPS T500 - PIII 500 - 288MB RAM - Voodoo3 3000 - SoundBlaster Live! Value - DVD-ROM - CD-RW - 3.5" 1.44 - 98SE & 2000 dual boot
A nostalgic pile of laptops from the late 80's to late 90s.