VOGONS

First post, by thevdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I picked up a cheap Socket 3 M918i (I'm fairly sure it's an M918i) motherboard that was listed as being for parts. The board it'self looks to be in fairly good condition although has a slight curve to it.

With a post card inserted it stops on "FF 2A" 9 times out of 10 with nothing on the screen, the other 1 time out of 10, it posts to the very nostalgic 1993 AMI GUI BIOS. For the AMI BIOS that the board uses the codes are as follow:

FF

Flash ROM programming was successful. Next, restarting the system BIOS

2A

Initializing the different bus system, static, and output devices, if present

When using a 4 digit POST card, is it the first 2 digits that were the last code or the last 2 digits?

So far I have replaced the dead CMOS battery (CR2032 thankfully) and reseated the BIOS chip (assuming it may be stalling on FF).
I've reseated the graphics card/tried different PCI slots, reseated the CPU and RAM (assuming it may be stalling on 2A).
Jumper settings have been set appropriately for the SX2-50 I am using for testing as per the download here - https://www.elhvb.com/webhq/models/486pci/m918i.htm

Knowing that the board has a slight curve to it may imply that there is a cracked trace or solder joint. Given the error above for "2A" where would be best to start checking for a crached trace/solder joint?

Any thoughts on where to start will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

Gaming rig: Dell Dimension XPS T500 - PIII 500 - 288MB RAM - Voodoo3 3000 - SoundBlaster Live! Value - DVD-ROM - CD-RW - 3.5" 1.44 - 98SE & 2000 dual boot
A nostalgic pile of laptops from the late 80's to late 90s.

Reply 1 of 2, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about reseating the cache chips as well?

Pics of the board and how it is warped may help give somebody an idea of where to start looking.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 2, by thevdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Cyclone3d,

Thank you for the suggestions, I reseated the cache chips after making the original post (sudden thought), unfortunately this made no difference. I'll pull some known working cache chips from the loft this weekend as I don't know any history for the currently installed ones.

I tried booting without the graphics card installed and the board consistently gets past "FF 2A" with the usual 1 long 8 short beeps. It could be a case that the board doesn't like the ATI Mach64 (known working card).

Excuse the mess around the pictures, the "server"/electric cupboard was convenient with power, tools and a VGA monitor at hand

mobo-top.jpg
Filename
mobo-top.jpg
File size
91.82 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
mobo-post.jpg
Filename
mobo-post.jpg
File size
43.02 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
mobo-curve.jpg
Filename
mobo-curve.jpg
File size
79.47 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Gaming rig: Dell Dimension XPS T500 - PIII 500 - 288MB RAM - Voodoo3 3000 - SoundBlaster Live! Value - DVD-ROM - CD-RW - 3.5" 1.44 - 98SE & 2000 dual boot
A nostalgic pile of laptops from the late 80's to late 90s.