VOGONS

First post, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's that Contaq 82C591-based ISA 486 motherboard I was talking about earlier. Board was thrashed by a VARTA battery, but I was able to restore it back to full operation after fixing some traces and replacing the two 8-bit ISA slots.

Notice the one odd QS8888-12 chip next to the cache - there are unpopulated pads for an undocumented write-back 16Kx4 SRAM TAG chip there, so I fitted some round tooled pins and fitted beforementioned chip there. The effect on performance is substantial, from 22.70MB/sec to 40.21MB/sec memory bandwidth under SPEEDSYS 4.78, using a 486DX-33 CPU.

IMG_0098.JPG
Filename
IMG_0098.JPG
File size
1.56 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_0100.JPG
Filename
IMG_0100.JPG
File size
1.62 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

For comparison, here's where the board initially stood on Speedsys without the dirty TAG fitted, with the 486DX-33: (ignore the HDDs in the pic, I was trying out a big pile of drives)

CONTAQ.png
Filename
CONTAQ.png
File size
11.68 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

After fitting the 16Kx4 SRAM, things started looking a bit better:

CTQ-WB.png
Filename
CTQ-WB.png
File size
11.12 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Using an Am5x86-133 upgrade chip, an MR BIOS image I found and tuning up the cache and RAM access timings I can get it to around 52.88MB/sec. Still pretty pedestrian, but certainly much better than what it was like before.

CTQ-5XWD.png
Filename
CTQ-5XWD.png
File size
11.41 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by Eep386 on 2021-09-13, 17:19. Edited 3 times in total.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 1 of 13, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The original 12/12/91 AMI BIOS:

Filename
Computrend Contaq 486 AMI BIOS 12-12-91.zip
File size
40.27 KiB
Downloads
30 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

A compatible MR BIOS that I found (yes, it works quite well too!):

Filename
Contaq 82C591 MR BIOS.zip
File size
45.62 KiB
Downloads
32 downloads
File license

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 2 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Where did you find the MR BIOS image? Was it from here: How about a MR-BIOS ROM file repository?
?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 13, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, it was from somewhere in that topic. I believe the file was V045B400, in MRBIOS_6.zip.

MRBIOS_1.zip contains lists for various chipsets, and I just went to the one labeled CONTAQ.DOC in that zip file. From there I walked through the numbered zip files until I found the one I was looking for. Unfortunately the zipfiles are far from complete, there are many MR BIOSes not included, but they're nonetheless extremely useful.

Reply 5 of 13, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Eep386 wrote on 2021-09-13, 17:10:

Notice the one odd QS8888-12 chip next to the cache - there are unpopulated pads for an undocumented write-back 16Kx4 SRAM TAG chip there, so I fitted some round tooled pins and fitted beforementioned chip there. The effect on performance is substantial, from 22.70MB/sec to 40.21MB/sec memory bandwidth under SPEEDSYS 4.78, using a 486DX-33 CPU.

Hello
I also just got this board (MSI MS-4109) from a batch of "won't POST" boards from eBay. I don't think I did anything to it but check all the jumpers...
Anyway, it's running with a 486DX2-66. But the interesting thing is, mine is also missing the tag ram yet apparently outperforms your "memory throughput" in speedsys despite no modification and a CPU at half the clock rate. Weird.
Mine is VER: 1 instead of VER: 2.
In AMISETUP there is a hidden BIOS option for cache WT/WB and is set for WT. The system won't boot with it set on WB.
This one has 64K cache instead of 256K.
Cachechk speeds are similarly bad, don't know what you got but this is: 16 us/KB for L1, 24 us/KB for L2, and 53 us/KB for memory. (I was getting 16/24/70 and don't think I have changed anything so...)

Attachments

• sstimg01.png
    Filename
    sstimg01.png
    File size
    11.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 13, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can you dump your BIOS? I am curious to see if I can get a similar or better result on my board with the dirty TAG fitted.
Also, may I see a picture of the board?

The cachechk results you got seem pretty in-line with what I got. My L1 and L2 scores were poorer because I was using a DX-33 CPU with several wait states on the memories at the time. Taking the waitstates off (after fitting faster memory and cache chips as well) brings the performance much closer to your board, the MR BIOS fitted screenshot is much more indicative of what I get.

This board takes 40 and 50MHz CPUs without batting an eye (there's no 1/5 divider for 40MHz so you have to use 1/4 with a 10MHz ISA bus), but it's almost not worth it as the Contaq chipset is one of those 386-486 do-either deals and doesn't really offer ideal bandwidth for a higher clocked 486. I certainly won't discount the possibility that the Contaq might work faster in write through mode once the option is unhidden.

Reply 7 of 13, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Eep386 wrote on 2021-10-18, 17:25:
Can you dump your BIOS? I am curious to see if I can get a similar or better result on my board with the dirty TAG fitted. Also, […]
Show full quote

Can you dump your BIOS? I am curious to see if I can get a similar or better result on my board with the dirty TAG fitted.
Also, may I see a picture of the board?

The cachechk results you got seem pretty in-line with what I got. My L1 and L2 scores were poorer because I was using a DX-33 CPU with several wait states on the memories at the time. Taking the waitstates off (after fitting faster memory and cache chips as well) brings the performance much closer to your board, the MR BIOS fitted screenshot is much more indicative of what I get.

This board takes 40 and 50MHz CPUs without batting an eye (there's no 1/5 divider for 40MHz so you have to use 1/4 with a 10MHz ISA bus), but it's almost not worth it as the Contaq chipset is one of those 386-486 do-either deals and doesn't really offer ideal bandwidth for a higher clocked 486. I certainly won't discount the possibility that the Contaq might work faster in write through mode once the option is unhidden.

Here is the picture and BIOS ROM.
Regarding the WT setting, that is the default on my board. Setting WB using AMISETUP makes it not boot.
DRAM Read Wait State 0 W/S seems equivalent to 3 W/S, i.e., 1 W/S is the fastest.
I wonder if I could temporarily fit a resistor to this where the tag ram is to simulate always-dirty mode and test the WB setting that way. Why do you think they used a 16kx4 instead of a 16kx1? Or was there no such thing.

Attachments

• MS-4109.jpg
    Filename
    MS-4109.jpg
    File size
    1.66 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    ms-4109.zip
    File size
    38.22 KiB
    Downloads
    30 downloads
    File license

Reply 8 of 13, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the picture and BIOS dump!
A good number of 386/486 chipsets used 16Kx4 for dirty TAG memory, though I've ran into one that needed 64Kx1. I think that one was a Packard Bell 486 I used to own, that had an OPTi 495 chipset.

Reply 9 of 13, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Eep386 wrote on 2021-10-19, 01:39:

A good number of 386/486 chipsets used 16Kx4 for dirty TAG memory, though I've ran into one that needed 64Kx1. I think that one was a Packard Bell 486 I used to own, that had an OPTi 495 chipset.

Welp I found a 16kx4 for sale for less than $10, so I'll try your modification. The picture is 20ns but description is 25ns, hopefully the picture is right.

Reply 10 of 13, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Eep386 wrote on 2021-10-19, 01:39:

Thanks for the tip. With the 16Kx4 SRAM added, I can use AMISETUP to set the cache mode to WB and it no longer hangs on boot (so, it works).
cachechk speeds are unchanged.
doom -timedemo demo3 improves from 4022 realtics to 3934 realtics.
speedsys "memory bandwidth" increases from 49.83 MB/s to 49.91 MB/s.
"Memory throughput" decreases from 32.54 MB/s to 29.83 MB/s, but looking at the graph, this is because move speed decreased, likely due to L2 miss penalty.

MSI isn't the only one to do this obviously, but I wonder why a functional component of the cache subsystem as tag ram gets dropped, yet a superflous feature like a Weitek 4167 socket was essential enough to keep.

I see one of the hidden options in this BIOS is parity check=Enabled. Wonder how much cursing was involved when people tried to add non-parity RAM on this board.

Reply 11 of 13, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Who knows why manufacturers would prioritize a niche (even arguably fringe) component like a Weitek socket, when 10c was apparently too much to spend on a 16Kx4 TAG socket.

Shedding nearly 100 realtics is a small but not insignificant improvement, not entirely unlike what one might get from enabling the FIFO buffer on TVGA8900CL/D cards.

Reply 12 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I added jakethompson1's image and bios to UR.net 😀
https://www.ultimateretro.net/motherboards/5521

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 13 of 13, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Eep386 wrote on 2021-10-24, 15:13:

Who knows why manufacturers would prioritize a niche (even arguably fringe) component like a Weitek socket, when 10c was apparently too much to spend on a 16Kx4 TAG socket.

I wonder if the motherboard manufacturers got some kind of rebate from Weitek with some venture capital money in exchange for putting on the socket? heh