Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-14, 11:49:
Rawit wrote on 2021-09-14, 06:48:

Make sure you use ULTRINIT 2.26 if you want to use the -DJ option. This switch only works with 2.26 and otherwise you'll run into a joystick port conflict.

Using ULTRINIT v2.26a with the -DJ parameter only applies to the GUS ACE because that one lacks the gameport. 😉

The ACE just lacks the physical connector but does have a joystick port and will conflict with other soundcards. Version 2.26a works with other classic GUSes as well except for the Extreme. From the readme:

When attempting to disable the joystick port (with -DJ option) on the
UltraSound, ULTRINIT had to be executed several times before the joystick
port was properly disabled.

Similarly with the UltraSound ACE, the joystick connected to the other sound
card might not function properly before the user ran ULTRINIT -DJ several times.

This version of ULTRINIT solves these problems.

But like you said, the speed compensating port of the GUS is the better option of the two.

YouTube

Reply 21 of 21, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-15, 12:08:
Okay, did you try to start the computer with just HIMEM loaded? […]
Show full quote

Okay, did you try to start the computer with just HIMEM loaded?

There's one DOS driver related to USB being loaded (DI1000DD.SYS). USB on DOS is quite a gamble to get it working and takes too much conventional memory.

Both CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files are quite messy. I suggest configuring a menu for this stuff.

You can use the following CONFIG.SYS:

FILES=40
REM Use BUFFERS=10 if SMARTDRV will be loaded
BUFFERS=20
LASTDRIVE=J
STACKS=9,256
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
REM Uncomment the following line if everything worked fine
REM DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE AUTO RAM I=B000-B7FF
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\CDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001

And AUTOEXEC.BAT:

@ECHO OFF
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
SET SOUND=C:\SBPRO
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:G
SET ULTRASND=240,7,7,7,7
SET ULTRADIR=C:\ULTRASND
PROMPT $p$g
REM Uncomment the following lines that has REM one by one if everything is well
REM C:\SBPRO\SBP-SET /M:8 /VOC:8,8 /FM:8,8 /CD:8 /X:6 /LINE:8,8
REM C:\ULTRASND\ULTRINIT
REM OFF2C0.COM
REM SNDOFF.EXE
REM LOTECH.COM
LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /E
REM LH C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
REM C:\BQ\CQBQ.EXE -p2 -ds -s600
REM LH C:\S3VBE20\S3VBE20 /INSTALL
REM Load mouse driver here (CTMOUSE, MOUSE, etc)

Make a backup of the original files prior using this. This assumes that you only card the video card installed.

Yeah I'll try cleaning it up a bit more sorry about the mess.
The thing about the usb driver is I forgot to disable it via REM.
I only enable it when I want to transfer files via usb , its a bit buggy but it works surprisingly well , you just need a usb stick formatted to FAT16.

I just did a bit of stress testing and most games seem to be working fine , I've even combined gravis sound with sound blaster music in doom.
Raptor runs fine with gravis , simcity2000 runs with sbpro2 (gravis support isn't in the game but I wanted to test for conflicts) , tomb raider setup will wig out with gravis but runs fine with sbpro2.
To get around tomb raider crashing in software mode I installed my voodoo 1 and ran it in 3dfx mode , it works fine now.
As for shadow warrior , choosing gravis as the sound option and picking the highest sample rate , and then having a joystick connected seems to work , ill have to try it without one connected.

Some games seem to emit weird glitchy beeping noises at random sometimes though , I'm not sure if its something to do with conflicts or not.
I'm not sure if it will be fine or I'm band aiding an issue that should be properly fixed or not.
Ill try some more stress testing in the morning and see what happens I guess.