VOGONS

First post, by AeonG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I never used Gateway 2000 computers growing up, so my experience with them is pretty limited, but from the ones I have used in my adult years, they've rarely ever given me problems. So I'm rather curious: Are most of Gateway 2000's computers pretty reliable, or were they basically just a meme brand (for the cow packaging)? How greatly did their quality change after their first buyout? If I decide to purchase more Gateway computers, are there any specific series of Gateway/Gateway 2000 I should avoid?

Reply 1 of 3, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Early models were using Micronics (relative of Micron) usually with WD/WDC components like the video card very reliable if not a little boring .

Going closer to either side of this century things went ass tastik though if your power supply survived you might get a survivor

Reply 2 of 3, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

from what i remember all the older ones i ever encountered were very reliable and robust, its not enough to make it any more than anecdotal evidence but never heard bad things about them way back. old 90's examples still appear in circulation now and then a little rough around the edges but still ok

Reply 3 of 3, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The P-II and P-III models I have come across all have worked on power up like this one I cleaned up and gave away over at vcfed.org. Many used rebranded Intel motherboards which were good quality for the most part.