VOGONS

First post, by hejluxom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I just got two of this vaio laptops, srp21k.

Cpu: sl43m, 500mhz mobile
Gpu: neo magic, magic media 256ar+
RAM: 64mb atm
Sound: ymf754-r, that should be real opl3

This is so far the strongest laptop with opl3 that I saw.

Did I m8ssed something or this thing is perfect? 😂

Attachments

Reply 1 of 3, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks great! That would be perfect for most things.

I have had compatibility issues with NeoMagic chips in the games I play, though, so it wouldn't be for me.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have some similar Sony laptops. Not sure what the fastest CPU I have in them is though.

The Yamaha chip should also be hardwired for PC-PCI which makes it just as good as an ISA card as far as DOS compatibility goes.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 3, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote on 2021-09-17, 19:51:

I have had compatibility issues with NeoMagic chips in the games I play, though, so it wouldn't be for me.

That's why my Thinkpad 385XD ain'tn't perfect. Though I swear when we first had it, I had a DX5 driver on it that did a fair job of Monster Truck Madness, but trying things recently is a pile of fail. But I guess that's 'doze not doz. I've been able to make those alien bastards pay for shooting up my ride a few times though.

My fave feeling machines are Compaq Armadas, I can't get enough of them... I mean I really can't get enough of them, My 1580DMT took a crap... my 17xx is doing alright but the hinge is worryingly floppy... and they're not turning up cheap enough often enough to get a stack of spares in.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.