VOGONS

First post, by multiwirth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there everyone,
it´s probably not the best place to ask but i don´t know any other forum dedicated to retro computing.
So what I have here is a Compaq Armada E500 with a PIII 600Mhz and AMD Rage mobility AGP (8MB) and ESS 1978 audio.
So quite a nice machine for old windows 98 and some DOS games with a lot of power.

Anyways i´m having trouble with one of the PCMCIA slots.
I got this a few days ago and played around with it.
Replaced the "probably dead hdd" and installed Windows 98se and Xp.
Everything was fine so far until i put my USB 2.0 PCMCIA card in.
The card works fine on all my other old laptops but here it caused Windows Xp to crash!
First on both sockets, also no matter which type of card.
After a few unplugs, the upper PCMCIA slot started to work fully normal, both correctly detecting my cisco wifi and usb card.
So i thought maybe just a bit corrosion here.

However no matter how hard i try, i can´t get the second slot to work correctly.
It does WORK partially, detects the cisco wifi card just fine BUT doesn´t work with my usb card (which does work on the first slot though)
Usually i have the wifi card in slot 1 and usb in slot 2 as it´s the only way to use both cards at the same time - which doesn´t work here unfortunately.

I even tried cleaning the contacts with isopropanol but had no luck.
So does anyone here have an idea?
Btw. there are no bent or missing pins

It´s a Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller.
The same used in many other laptops.
It´s listed twice in device manager, both reporting "fully functional"
Maybe there are some known issues with this specific model?

Best regards,
Patrick

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe you're gonna have to trawl through an archive of softpaqs looking for card services updates. At the moment, I'm thinking that XP wasn't officially supported on this model, but not certain.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 2, by multiwirth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
i´ve got every avaiable driver for m700 already and yes it supports Windows Xp.
The E500 is basically the same machine but thicker and with an integrated floppy drive.
But has the same hardware and really shouldn´t need any special drivers for PCMCIA.
My m700 has the same PCMCIA controller and is working just fine.
So yeah probably an hardware related or firmware issue here 😒