VOGONS

First post, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a new issue with my Windows 98 build. I was able to successfully set a desktop wallpaper and all seemed to be working well for a couple days. Today after a reboot it starts up as normal but shows a white wallpaper with the word "Desktop" at the top left with no icons showing. I am able to go into the display settings from the control panel in the start menu and turn off View as a Web Page and it shows the plain green background and the icons again. However if I try to re-apply my background I get the same white screen. Then, no matter what settings I apply before rebooting, after I restart the PC the same white background will show up once its all started. I have never ran into this before in all my years of messing around with this OS and I cannot seem to figure out the fix. Anyone else have this issue and know how to resolve? The background is actually white not blue like it seems in the photo.

C203E3E5-5D55-4261-93F3-27248D30FC5C.jpeg
Filename
C203E3E5-5D55-4261-93F3-27248D30FC5C.jpeg
File size
1.06 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is weird. What is your background ? A .bmp ??

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 2, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually figured this out in case it ever happens to anyone else. All I had to do was show all the hidden/system files and then delete the folder.htt and desktop.ini files then all went back to normal.