VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back in the dark ages, my first printer was a CBM 1525 to go along with my Vic-20.
Call me weird, but I always loved the look of its print-out. It looked so futuristic. It had no descenders.

As my C128D has been sitting in the closet for... wow a decade now... I really need to get it out and see if I can get it running... anyway...
I decided against getting another 1525... however... the 1525 had two equivalents: the TRS-80 DMP100, and the Gorilla Banana. The latter two could connect to a normal PC parallel port.

So I eventually got a Gorilla Banana in great shape.

20210709_193721.jpg
Filename
20210709_193721.jpg
File size
1.45 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

That's it in the background there.
But, when I tried to start it up... it clicked and then about 10-20 seconds later there would be another click and the error light would come on.

GorillaBanana_01.jpg
Filename
GorillaBanana_01.jpg
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The clicking was this solenoid closing...

GorillaBanana_02.jpg
Filename
GorillaBanana_02.jpg
File size
1.64 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And the 2nd click was the solenoid opening again when it gave up.

So... does anyone have an idea what the problem may be? If the problem IS the solenoid, is it fixable without spending a fortune?
I really want to get this little guy working again. I waited and pounced when a couple ribbons became available for it, just waiting to use it...

Reply 1 of 3, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

S O L V E D (more or less)

So I gently nudged the printhead while the printer was starting up... it went back and forth a couple times on its own.
I kept this up for a bit, and then it would (sometimes) move the head on its own on startup.
So I put some lithium grease on a kleenex and rubbed it gently on the print bar...
I hooked it up to my Toshiba M200 laptop running winxp. Tried several drivers, settled on the generic text.
IT PRINTS!
It's faded and is offset and seems to be double-size... that may be a dipswitch setting somewhere in the printer, I'll have to check and see.

Now all I need to do is find DOS and Windows (and maybe Linux?) drivers for it, and I'm all set. Oh, may need to reink the ribbon, but that shouldn't be a terribly difficult problem.