VOGONS

First post, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,
Having problems getting my CDROM CR-563-B with my GUS Ultrasound Max 2.1. Just won't detect.

This drive works with a generic sound card that has a Panasonic connector on it. When connected to the GUS max and I power on the tray door opens then the read LED is flashing. This does not happen when it's connected to the generic sound card.

Jumpers are:
JP1 on, on, off, on (340 Base)
JP11 -- 1 off, 2 off (CD-ROM address 360H)
JP9 JP10, JP8 (DMA IRQ) -- no jumpers -- no DMA or IRQ set for the CD-ROM drive
JP13 on -- Panasonic drive enabled

I've tried loads of drivers from here also : https://www.ibm-pc.se/drivers/cdrom/PANASONI/panason.html

Could my Panasonic port be busted on the GUS MAX?
Regards,

Reply 1 of 4, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there anything else that could be sharing the base address? Maybe it's worth trying putting the soundcard on 220/320 and the CDROM on 340?

Also, and I think this is the opposite of the manual so I might be reading it wrong, but this ( https://www.angelfire.com/pq/osm/misc.html ) suggests that Panasonic mode is selected by removing JP13. I expect it's just a badly formatted table, but might be worth checking.

Reply 2 of 4, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I tried different combinations for the base and CDROM base. All the same. JP13 is supposed to be enabled for Panasonic. I've seen a german manual page on Vogons and the translation reads jumper on to enable. So that site must have a formatting issues as you mentioned. I did try it just in case and no go.

My generic sound card allows setting the base to 310 or 350 both work fine. Currently in the system I have a I/O controller for my two IDE hard disks and FD, the GUS MAX and a Trident Video Card. Don't see what else could be conflicting. My thoughts from the strange opening of the tray and LED behaviour is the port on the GUS is not 100% compatible with the CR-562-B CDROM drive? But can't find any information to confirm this. I might have to throw in the towel on this one. Been on it for days.

Reply 3 of 4, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using the GUS MAX 2.1 Panasonic interface with a Teac drive and it has its own drivers. I can definitely confirm that the jumper has to be enabled.

The drive flashing and ejecting isn't too dissimilar from a floppy drive with its cable connected upside down. Haven't had anything like that myself. Pin 1 is down, towards the ISA slot, on the card.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 4 of 4, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
Thanks for clarifying this. I just checked the pin 1 is as you said at the bottom of the card. Unlike the other connectors. That threw me between my shotty eyes and that I've been working manuals which don't relate to 2.1 and some even in German this did not help. Drive is now working correctly.

If anyone can scan the GUS Max 2.1 manual and upload it too archive.org this would be great.