VOGONS

First post, by devilish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi folks,

I'm looking out there for a *reasonably priced early DVI card that'll work with this board, around 2002 or so. I know the board manual says it only supports up to AGP 2x, but would 4x be a problem with the board?

I'm trying to run two systems through (modern and retro) pc through a KVM switch at present, and not having much luck with VGA, but i'd like more options and....parts.

What card would you recommend for the job?

Reply 1 of 4, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could go with a quadro 2 pro. Performance is supposed to be quite good and should be somewhat appropriate for slot 1. They seem pricy on evil though, but what isn't?

For the record I have been running gf4 Mx cards that are 8x on a 1x agp slot. Just check the voltages but even then it is not guaranteed to work it seems.

Reply 2 of 4, by devilish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, funny you mention the GF4 cards. A ti4200 (4x) I believe was on evilbay, but I wasn't sure if it would work (voltages) with the P2B-F board. Slightly more confusing as they did an 8x AGP version of that same card as well.

Reply 3 of 4, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a gf4 440 Mx 128 mb it is 8x and 128 Mbit memory interface. I'm not certain what brand it is, maybe gainwald?

It worked in my SS7 build 1x agp slot and in socket 478 build with 8x. To my knowledge cards are backwards compatible within certain limits.

Reply 4 of 4, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am using the same board with a Celeron 533 (386 DX33-ish with L1 disabled, pretty ideal) as my DOS/Win9x capture system. I picked the video card for the same reason as you, to have digital output that would be easy to capture. The I picked was an AGP FX5200 - the only GeFrorce FX card I have ever found ANY use for. It works 100% fine.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.