VOGONS

First post, by devilish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi again.

I've got a Depzol HDMI/VGA switch to use between modern and retro PC's.

The Video output is absolutely fine and switches like it's supposed to, no issue.

But mouse & keyboard don't work, at all. I was wondering if it's one of/many things.

1) Razer Blackwidow v3 + modern (not sure on make) gaming mouse not being recognised (although a 10+year old microsoft USB mouse didn't work either.)

2) driver issue with the older machine.

They work normally with my modern machine, but dead as a dodo the other way round. Is it even possible to do with this KVM switch?

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check your KVM documentation.
Some keyboards also can be configured for legacy machines for better detection.
Check\change USB settings in the BIOS

Does it work in the BIOS or DOS?
Does it not work on 9x-2000? The last two KVM I bought had nothing but issues with this one so for these I connect directly.
Does it work on XP+?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by devilish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had some success. With the mouse, anyway. I did things backwards, so I plugged the mouse into the retro first, and it installed loads of HID devices (5 or so) and it worked! Then back into the KVM switch, and it is working fine.

Keyboard is another story. It doesn't work....kind of. Tried the same method as the mouse, install it locally first, then to the KVM switch. But it didn't work, but I can use it in the BIOS and in DOS, and the RGB on the keyboard lights up. When going into Windows 98, it only works in safe mode (keyboard doesn't work there) or when booting normally it just hangs, has an exception and blue screens. It even now does it with the PS2 keyboard in alone....so it's going wrong somewhere.

So at the moment it works in BIOS + DOS, but crashes now all the time when using a new keyboard, and even the PS/2 one alone.

Reply 3 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What motherboard is the retro PC using (Just to give us an idea of how good/buggy its Legacy USB support is)
I am assuming your using a USB cable between the PC and KVM for the keyboard and not a USB to PS2 converter on the PC end?

But something is definitely wrong with that PC if a plain PS2 keyboard plugged direct to the PC also doesn't work. That's low level stuff driver wise
Clean install of Windows 98 and no service packs will be the easiest base to start troubleshooting off