VOGONS

First post, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Over the years there have been great new products from the community to replace aging, broken or hard to obtain parts. Even entirely new cases like the Checkmate A1500 Plus for the Amiga. This made me think: What about the PC side of things? There was a long period of time in the 80's and 90's where AT was the industry norm and many systems from 286's up to Super Socket 7 & Pentium II's were housed inside AT or Baby AT form factor cases. As far as I can tell no-one has taken up the challenge to create a new retro styled AT case! Since many of you own AT cases, it'll be fun to brainstorm a bit what properties a newly made AT case would need and what it would look like.

Here are some of my ideas:

• Retro aesthetic - The case design should be close to the 80s/90s Beige Box we love and hate. It could have its own charm, but shouldn't be recognisable as something that wasn't made in the time period at first glance.
  • Functionality - The case should accomendate for typical AT functions such as a turbo button, a key lock, an LCD display (full 3 digits so 200+ mhz machines can use them as well). Furthermore a reset and power switch. Personally I'm a big fan of those large red IBM styled toggle switches. Extra non-AT I/O such as USB, front audio and a CF slot could be hidden behind a latch. This could also be a great opportunity to add a 9 and/or 25 pin serial and gameport slot, so you could hook up peripherals easily. Ultimately, I'd like to have a modular front panel that you can swap out, so you can change the look of the machine. Don't want a turbo button? Just pop in a different front plate and you're done!
  • Materials - No more yellowing ABS plastics! If plastics are used to hold certain case elements together, the legs should be thick enough so they won't break easily as they become brittle with age. If possible, the construction should be all metal for durability. The front will probably still remain plastic, not to break with the Beige Box aesthetic.
  • Modular - If possible, the case should be able to be used standing as a tower or on it's side like a desktop. There have been cases where you can mount your 5,25 drives either way to accommendate for the orientation. Also (if possible) the backplate should be modular so it could also house ATX boards.
  • Easy of Use - Some of the early cases are a nightmare to work with, so I'd like some improvements here too. Such as individual side panels (no more removing the full housing). Also, a backplane for the motherboard that you can take out easily for testing and maintenance. It would also be great if the metal construction has honed edges, so I no longer have cuts and scratches on my hands after working with it.

What would be your recommendations for such a new AT case? 😀

Some great examples of the looks I would go for:
uc?export=download&id=1yLwz2U9EDYG9Jyl3-_D-2Jyn4T08qkOI
B3tTIhUl.jpg
QZ3svKzjcPq44m3Goqua-XaxcQZ6TADlXsRDld8pt5OX27ZFuPTXs1FkRenlrj9BpDNV0xRzOtjinwoli38ju2hQbmMz9QqiNrnK2j0adkueJg
zpcc4XK.jpg

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 1 of 13, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think nobody has made one (like on kickstarter) because it would cost far more than just buying an original one off eBay for $60-150.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2 of 13, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2021-10-02, 11:07:

I think nobody has made one (like on kickstarter) because it would cost far more than just buying an original one off eBay for $60-150.

True, but this thread is more of a brainstorm about what the perfect case could be like. Although, if someone could create a such a case there would possibly be an audience for it, regardless of the costs.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 3 of 13, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd like to see one that can take full AT motherboards. Think wiretap has it right though, it's probably going to cost a lot.

The LED speed readout and the red toggle switch i love, but I don't think either is being manufactured anymore. I may be wrong though.

This sort of thing would suit me, note the width that takes the full AT boards.

Attachments

• p90_front.jpg
    Filename
    p90_front.jpg
    File size
    64.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 4 of 13, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought Evercase.co.uk was making AT style cases. I was specifically eyeing the big beige sideways ones.

Then I ordered one, received it, and saw it was delisted from their site. Did I get the last one? Maybe. Perhaps they were sitting on a warehouse of dwindling NOS that they never had the heart to throw away for 20 years.

It did in fact cost a ton. Especially having it shipped from the UK. But it was "new", exactly what I wanted, and I doubt I would have paid any less for one of those beaters you see on ebay.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 5 of 13, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sharp looking is not exposed LED holes, etc. Use small translucent parts to make indicators glow nice, behind small pinhole for each LED to look clean.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 6 of 13, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For small scale manufacturing, ideally modifying Micro ATX cases - it's within the realms of possibility. I made a 3D printed facia for YY-A200 - A210 cases here: Re: What retro activity did you get up to today? I can share files if anyone needs them. The LED light diffuser / guide can be printed in transparent PETG.
My view is that adapters for existing systems are best. If there's a case that has been in production for a long time and people have been using for a while, I have a 3d scanning system to develop bezels & things to make them look more retro.

Watch Craftman's videos for ideas on how to make up the bezel or the transparent plastic part, that could probably be resin cast nicely.

Reply 7 of 13, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2021-10-03, 00:19:

For small scale manufacturing, ideally modifying Micro ATX cases - it's within the realms of possibility. I made a 3D printed facia for YY-A200 - A210 cases here: Re: What retro activity did you get up to today? I can share files if anyone needs them. The LED light diffuser / guide can be printed in transparent PETG.
My view is that adapters for existing systems are best. If there's a case that has been in production for a long time and people have been using for a while, I have a 3d scanning system to develop bezels & things to make them look more retro.

Watch Craftman's videos for ideas on how to make up the bezel or the transparent plastic part, that could probably be resin cast nicely.

That's quite impressive! 😀

As suggested, working with an existing design might actually make this a feasable project. Find the cheapest ATX case, strip it and then adapt it to look and function like a retro AT case.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 8 of 13, by kolmio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem is that production of ATX/mATX cases having front bays for DIY computer builds is also on decline. They are increasingly hard to find. Most of the cases are for gaming rigs and optimized for cooling and aesthetics. Even 3.5 HDD bays are no longer there.

Windows 95 | Chaintech 486SPM M102.A | AMD-X5-133ADW or Am486DX4-100 | 48MB SIMM FPM | ATI Rage 3D II+DVD | CT4100 | 8GB CF

Windows 98 | Acorp 6BX86 | Pentium II 450 | Matrox Millennium G450 | SoundForte SF16-FMI-03 | 32 GB MicroSD

Reply 9 of 13, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree with @Thermalwrong here. Reusing a newer case up to the early 2010s with a 3D printed fascia is a way better idea than a scratch-made case.

An ATX or microATX case is the way to go IMO - you can then 3D print any retro fascia as long as you have the original case mounting points. This way, you have compatibility with anything, be it AT or ATX.

XT might be a bit of an issue size wise 🤣

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 10 of 13, by Aui

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also feel this is generally becoming more of an important issue. I think we will run out of suitable cases long before the last 386 processor or motherboard will stop working. With some of my most beloved cases Im nowedays already worried if I only need to take them apart, because it often involves some twisting and bending and I have seen many times how some of the old plastic is cracking just by looking a bit too hard at it. And its not only the standard AT / XT and baby AT cases. There is a huge number of LPX boards out there, (often with CPU and RAM) which I suspect will get dumped eventually, because nobody really knows what to do with them.

LPX - The troublesome yet beautiful slim form factor

Cosmetic repair and restoration resources / experience?

Of course it is possible to build a completely new case around these boards / or make 3D printed adaptations - but thats not for everyone. I also more than once felt the need for an simple "universal" case where you can put in anything from betwen 1980 to 1998 and just get it up running. I also like the design of the OPs suggestion, although its lacking the display and the power switch looks like XT?

Anyway, if one day such an universal XT/AT/LPX case would be a thing I would probably order a few...

Reply 11 of 13, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would argue for a customized full ATX case.

I’ve already owned a couple that were fully AT/ATX COMPATIBLE, you just had to install a different rear face plate for the AT keyboard but case was otherwise universal

Reply 12 of 13, by Aui

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another hopeless CASE

just recently I piced up a nice AT machine, but again, it seems the case is beyond repair. In the past, I have atrempted to remodel small dents and broken off bits with acrylic filler and epoxy, but here its just bad. and the whole attachment of the bezel is also ripped off and I cant even really figure out how it was mounted.

20240205_072936 (1).jpg
Filename
20240205_072936 (1).jpg
File size
175.64 KiB
Views
File license

+1 for a universal AT (Lpx/Baby AT) case

Reply 13 of 13, by Aui

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok - on another recent post ( Re: My 15 Retro PC KVM Setup aka the "RetroRacks Project" )

I saw something that reminded me:

"The quintessential AT desktop case". If there ever will be an attempt to recreate an AT case - this design should be the blueprint or at least the reference:

Highscreen-386.jpg
Filename
Highscreen-386.jpg
File size
110.58 KiB
Views
File license

It ticks all the important boxes on the checklist:

- beige color
- cool badge
- no proprietary LPX form
- not too bulky (the design was actually named "compact"
- vertical floppy to save space
- keylook
- turbo and reset button
- digital MHz display
- exchangable HDD
- awesome minimalistic design

It also seems Im not the only one who thinks so :https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=KR9f7_BKp3c
and this model does not even has the exchangable HDD anymore...