VOGONS

First post, by Iris4g

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks.

I have an old Toshiba Satellite 220CS (Same as 220CDS) that I've been spending a lot of time trying to get WFW 3.11 loaded on to. It was officially supported as per : http://pub.agrarix.net/HW/Toshiba-220CS/satellite_220_e.pdf
The user would power on the laptop and be prompted to select either Windows 95, or Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

The most feasible of the two tasks is the PCMCIA software/driver. So far I can NOT get cardworks to function. It can not detect my PCMCIA controller. I had found a newer version online dated back to something like 1994 or 1995, but it seems you have to install it VIA a floppy disk, and I don't have a floppy drive for the laptop...

This is where the USB section now comes into play. I tried loading up DUSE to get access to USB drives and my USB Floppy drive, but anytime I plug in a USB device in MS-DOS I am simply presented with a "DUSE Failed to Load USB Storage Device" error, yet my OHCI controller is picked up and loaded by DUSE at runtime...

Any advice from others who have tinkered with similar things in the past?

P.S I loaded up the user installed Norwegian version of Win95B that came with the laptop when I got it, and it seems the PCMCIA driver is a generic one loaded by Windows... So as of right now I have not even a clue what the PCMCIA controller even is...

Reply 1 of 11, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have Dos6.22 and Win3.11 installed already?
Try the utility here to detect your pcmcia chipset: Re: PCMCIA Sound Cards
Not sure it will work under Win95.
Your chipset is probably a ToPic95 though with a PCIC 16bit compatible mode that you can set in the bios.

Do you want to install Systemsoft Cardsoft or TSSC Cardware or another one?
You can load the Dos pcmcia drivers directly from the config.sys bypassing the pesky installer.
In PCIC mode they should be ss365sl.exe or ss365lp.exe followed by cs.exe, csalloc.exe, maybe cardid.exe and some (or none) of the other depending on the kind of pcmcia cards you wish to use.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 3 of 11, by Iris4g

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2021-10-05, 20:30:
Do you have Dos6.22 and Win3.11 installed already? Try the utility here to detect your pcmcia chipset: Re: PCMCIA Sound Cards No […]
Show full quote

Do you have Dos6.22 and Win3.11 installed already?
Try the utility here to detect your pcmcia chipset: Re: PCMCIA Sound Cards
Not sure it will work under Win95.
Your chipset is probably a ToPic95 though with a PCIC 16bit compatible mode that you can set in the bios.

Do you want to install Systemsoft Cardsoft or TSSC Cardware or another one?
You can load the Dos pcmcia drivers directly from the config.sys bypassing the pesky installer.
In PCIC mode they should be ss365sl.exe or ss365lp.exe followed by cs.exe, csalloc.exe, maybe cardid.exe and some (or none) of the other depending on the kind of pcmcia cards you wish to use.

Correct, it comes back with "Toshiba ToPIC located"
Currently the BIOS setting is PCIC mode.
Would I simply add those 4 or so exe files as DEVICES in config.sys?
I really don't care which software I use, as long as it can get my PCMCIA up and running. I never heard of TSSC Cardware actually.

Reply 4 of 11, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cardid.exe is mostly useless, csalloc.exeis usually needed to reserve memory if you have emm386.exe loaded with that memory range excluded, that depends of the card you use and what its documentation says.

Otherwise loading only ss365sl/ss365lp and cs.exe as "device=" statements should report no errors unless the former can't find a compatible chipset.

In some later Cardsoft releases there are ToPic and ToPic95 drivers too, regular ss365xx in PCIC mode should be enough unless you have a 32bit Cardbus card with Dos or Win3x drivers...which shouldn't be too common I think.

Reply 5 of 11, by Iris4g

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2021-10-05, 21:52:

Cardid.exe is mostly useless, csalloc.exeis usually needed to reserve memory if you have emm386.exe loaded with that memory range excluded, that depends of the card you use and what its documentation says.

Otherwise loading only ss365sl/ss365lp and cs.exe as "device=" statements should report no errors unless the former can't find a compatible chipset.

In some later Cardsoft releases there are ToPic and ToPic95 drivers too, regular ss365xx in PCIC mode should be enough unless you have a 32bit Cardbus card with Dos or Win3x drivers...which shouldn't be too common I think.

I use HIMEM.SYS... Not sure if that's similar to EMM386 or not.

Reply 6 of 11, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Iris4g wrote on 2021-10-05, 22:08:

If you don't need emm386 for any software you plan to use with your pcmcia card(s), or unless the cards drivers requires it, don't worry about memory ranges to exclude!

Reply 7 of 11, by Iris4g

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2021-10-05, 22:47:
Iris4g wrote on 2021-10-05, 22:08:

If you don't need emm386 for any software you plan to use with your pcmcia card(s), or unless the cards drivers requires it, don't worry about memory ranges to exclude!

Got it, thanks! I loaded up the devices in config.sys (ss365sl.exe did the trick) but SystemSoft Cardview complains about a CardID not being found. Launching it again causes total system lock up (IRQ issue?)

Reply 9 of 11, by Iris4g

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2021-10-06, 08:41:

Put cardid.exe in your config.sys if you haven't and try again.

Sorry for the late reply.

I gave it a shot and I get the error "installation failed, cannot read card library"...

Reply 11 of 11, by Iris4g

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2021-10-07, 12:01:

The device line with cardid should also have the full pathname to the cardid library, cardid.ini I think, check the manual.
Did you install CardView properly?

ah i didn't do that... how exactly would I put that in my DEVICE line, just a space character after the path of the device?
I'm pretty sure I installed it right. I ran the setup VIA Windows.