VOGONS

First post, by Bedfford

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm a owner of a IBM APTIVA 2134-L32 (1996) and currently I made some hardware changes/upgrades to this machine under Win98SE (original CD / custom UBCD2008 fresh install). The specs of this machine and the details of the upgrades are in the attached pdf file.

Now I have a problem with the DOM ssd drive:

- using a cheap IDE-SATA adapter with a 1.8" SATA2 SSD 8GB (connected through PATA cable) seem work fine with the whole installation of Win98SE (both versions, original & custom).
- but using a new DOM Hyperdisk 16GB 40pin IDE drive (connected directly to the MB) the installation at any later stages, hangs or fail with BSOD screens or fault or illegal operation error messages (both versions, original & custom).
- (update) tested a IDE-CF adapter and also fail.
- (update2) the SD adapter fail too.
- other SD or CF adapters are not fully tested at this time.

I have observed that the installation using DOM are faster than the IDE-SATA adapter. So, I would like to try find a way to achieve a complete Win98SE installation with this drive.

I tested several configurations on BIOS, FAT, FAT32, cluster size, but none seem to solve this issue and now I run out of ideas. Maybe this specific brand (Hiperdisk) of DOM are not fully compatible.

So I wonder if exist more reliable DOM brand or others installations methods for this kind of machines with Win98SE OS.

Any comment or help are most welcome.

Thanks!

Bedfford.

(update3) : every SSD adapter fail except the IDE-SATA. Maybe this motherboard are too old for these ssd devices.

Attachments

• more ssd.jpg
    Filename
    more ssd.jpg
    File size
    168.4 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    ssd
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • ssd.jpg
    Filename
    ssd.jpg
    File size
    156.59 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    ssd
    File license
  • 2134.jpg
    Filename
    2134.jpg
    File size
    237.3 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    my machine guts
    File license
  • Filename
    IBM Aptiva 2134-L32 specs.pdf
    File size
    48.26 KiB
    Downloads
    32 downloads
    File comment
    specs
    File license
Last edited by Bedfford on 2021-10-13, 19:27. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to: http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/8766.htm dated 1999. The maximum HD size for 2134 is 8GB under that latest BIOS.....
Me thinks it is not the DOM but it being 16GB and the board cannot decode a proper LBA/CHS from it.
Have you tried the DOM on another computer to make sure it works (and record the CHS specs) ?
Even if you can set the CHS proper for the board it will still only see 8GB useable....That is all I can guess 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 2, by Bedfford

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Horum: Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately at this moments I do not have another PC with PATA ports.

But you are right. This old machine have the 8GB limit on his BIOS. However, many years ago I manage to use bigger HDDs and use this 8GB as primary partition, then with PartitionMagic I have been able to use the remaining space for some logical partitions, but even if only seen by Win98. This particular BIOS has problems even when using the additional PCI video card. The memory counter in POST goes crazy with the additional video memory. Then I must disable the BIOS memory checking and limit to 128MB the RAM with MSCONFIG tool.