VOGONS

New setup

Topic actions

First post, by edrahn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm rather new to the older side of hardware. I recently purchased a Pentium MMX 223 and motherboard. And it doesn't post BIOS. It was sold as working so I'm a little confused. Do the jumpers need to be set to boot? Should I at least get something even if is wrong.

Thanks,
Ed

Reply 2 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pics?

What PSU are you using? Is it known to be good?

What video card are you using?

What RAM?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 5, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome!

edrahn wrote on 2021-10-25, 19:46:

I recently purchased a Pentium MMX 223 and motherboard. And it doesn't post BIOS. It was sold as working so I'm a little confused.

It would be helpful if you could provide makes and models of your MB, RAM, graphics card (some Socket 7 MB have video chip integrated but most still need an independent graphics card), PSU, etc. Better yet if you have sharp photos.

A possible reason could be the RTC battery; some MB designs would refuse to boot without a working battery even if everything else is perfectly fine. Just a few days ago I fixed a friend's Acer Aspire X1800 (Intel Pentium E5400 on MCP73T-AD) that wouldn't boot simply by replacing its depleted CR2032.

edrahn wrote on 2021-10-25, 19:46:

Do the jumpers need to be set to boot? Should I at least get something even if is wrong.

If the seller had actually tested the MB before shipping then don't bother adjusting jumpers at this moment. Leave it as is (to preserve the state as seller claimed) while look up its official manual (if possible) for default settings to make sure the seller didn't make unnecessary tweaks e.g. overclocking too high.